PDA

View Full Version : Table saw guard ?

Rob Littleton
08-31-2004, 8:32 AM
Been away for a while, what with sheetrocking and more sheetrocking.etc...
Also, the daughter got taken in hospital for emergency surgery on ruptured appendix. Hard to let a 7 year old stay in hospital alone so I have been asleep along her side her on a chair......

Anyhoo, got the go ahead from SWMBO to get my saw guard.

I was looking at Penn States purely because it can be mounted to the ceiling. Any suggestions on other brands that mount to the ceiling? I was thinking of getting the Beis splitter too.

Cheers

Jim Becker
08-31-2004, 9:10 AM
So...you're table saw is never going to move? Well, I guess with that palatial space you can make it that way and do a ceiling mount, but it does limit your flexibility. I have the Excalibur guard on my saw and have been very pleased with it. They've made some improvements since I bought mine from what I remember...you might check their site to see if they have a ceiling mountable version. The one I have is saw-mount only.

{edit}

And Rob, I sincerely apologize for not originally mentioning that you're a great father to your daughter, staying with her in the hospital. Events like that are difficult for any child and the comfort you provide with your presence is so important. 'Hope she's feeling better real soon...I remember from only a few years ago what she's experiencing!

Ed Falis
08-31-2004, 10:01 AM
Rob,

Check the ceiling-mount Brett-Guard at http://www.tablesawguards.com/

I really like the Brett-Guard and use it nearly all the time.

- Ed

Ed Falis
08-31-2004, 10:04 AM
ps I think the ceiling mount is cheaper than the stated "starting at" price for the cantilever models.

- Ed

Jerry Olexa
08-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Rob, I certainly hope and pray your daughter will be OK. She's more important than anything else. Take care of yourself and her..

Wes Bischel
08-31-2004, 12:16 PM
Rob,
Our prayers are with your daughter as well. I hope all goes well.

As for the guard, I recently installed the PS guard on the ceiling. It was on sale (still is) and had good reviews so I jumped at it. The installation went well, but be advised, the instructions are very generic. If you go with the PS unit, double check the guard location in relation to the TS before locating the mounting bracket - their diagram doesn't quite explain it well - DAMHIKT.

I have the opposite problem Jim stated. My shop is small - about 250sqft, so the TS is located in front of double doors - anything over 3' long, I open the doors. :rolleyes: The outfeed table doubles as my main work bench - yeah, it can be a pain, but it works well 95% of the time.

Wes

Charles McKinley
08-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Hi Rob,

Your little girl will always remember that Daddy stayed with me. Our prayers go out to you. My third child and first son was born this morning.

I really like the added safety of the Bies. gaurd. I don't think they have a cieling mount though. There have been post to make your own also. I think Terry Hatfield has one that he made and gives directions.

Give you daughter a big hug for us and to get well soon.