PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop oscillating spindle sander

Mark Ball
07-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Morning all

Thinking about getting one of these, seems for a small shop it would really have some uses, sanding radiuses etc. Anybody have one that they particularly like/dislike?

Thanks

Mark

Brian Effinger
07-13-2009, 12:46 PM
I have the ridgid from home depot and really like it. It has an oscillating belt, as well as a spindle. And it's only $200.

Porter Bassett
07-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I've been very satisfied with my Rigid spindle/belt sander (http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/rgideb4424rvu.html). It's a tremendous value for the money.

Andrew Rogove
07-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I have the ridgid belt/spindle oscillating sander and it does a pretty good job for the price. Sanding sleeves are available at HD, so usually easy to find.
HTH
Anrew

Stephen Musial
07-13-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a Rigid that I don't use mainly because I don't do any curved work. If you're near St. Louis, you can have it for 100 bucks. (it probably has 2 hours of use on it)

Steve Southwood
07-13-2009, 12:48 PM
Another vote for the Ridgid, works like it is supposed to.

Elijah Fontenot
07-13-2009, 12:49 PM
The Ridgid OSS is the way to go for the hobbiest. It has the spindle and a belt sander attachment also and has decent dust collection. I love mine and there are a bunch of post where people have proclaimed thier deep like for thiers.

Russ Boyd
07-13-2009, 12:50 PM
I'll also vote for the Ridgid. The belt sander part is really nice and I believe Ridgid is the only one with that feature. Good tool.

David Hostetler
07-13-2009, 1:17 PM
Another vote for the Ridgid EB4424. It does exactly what is supposed to, and does it very well...

Myk Rian
07-13-2009, 1:25 PM
I have a Ridgid. Nice tool, but the only drawback is a 1/2" minimum spindle. If you might want a 1/4" spindle, then look at the Jet.

Mark Ball
07-13-2009, 1:52 PM
Wow, thanks for the quick replies. I am thinking I will definitely have a use for one, and the rigid is looking like the winner. I also like the fact that you can put a sanding belt on there as well. Seems like a lot of tool for the money.

Jon Weisenbach
07-13-2009, 2:02 PM
I've had mine for close to 8 years and never any problems of any kind. Only drawback I have is I wish the platten was a little longer for the belt portion .

Jon

glenn bradley
07-13-2009, 2:05 PM
I had looked at many machines and based on many multi-year user reviews I got the Ridgid as well. Lifetime Service Agreement and only $200. Only 40lbs so slipping it out of the cabinet and setting it on the bench is no big deal. You can see my DC tweak ere: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=115246

Brad Wood
07-13-2009, 2:06 PM
My wife just bought me the Ridgid for my birthday... I've only sanded a couple pieces of scrap with it so far, but based on all the positive reviews I've read here and at another site, I had so problem dropping hints :)

Jim Tobias
07-13-2009, 3:31 PM
I have a Clayton that I bought from a fellow creeker (Scott Houghton) about a year ago. I love it. I was using it yeaterday on some curved legs. Can't beat it if you do much curved work.

Jim

Bill Huber
07-13-2009, 3:49 PM
I have had mine (ridgid) for about 2 year and I just don't think I could do without it. I use my V27 miter gauge on it for squaring things up.

I think if you look around on the creek Glenn posted about adding some more vac to it to help with the dust collection. I guess that is the only small thing that I have a problem with is it could be better at getting the dust.

Thomas Williams
07-13-2009, 4:05 PM
I have used the Delta BOSS for several years with no problems. However, if I were buying today, I would go with the Ridgid.

Lori Kleinberg
07-13-2009, 4:27 PM
Another happy Rigid owner. I don't use it alot but it is does nice work for those few occasions that it is needed. As Glenn said
a lifetime warranty on a great tool that only cost $200. How can you go wrong?

Ryan Baker
07-13-2009, 7:26 PM
My vote is for the Jet. That's a great tool. I wouldn't trade mine for a dozen Rigids.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-13-2009, 7:30 PM
Used a Delta; used a Ridgid; used a Jet. Spent my hard earned $ on a Jet! Would do it again.

Bill Borchardt
07-13-2009, 8:41 PM
I recently went through the same exercise of evaluating bench top spindle sanders. The top two candidates in my evaluation were the Ridgid and the Jet JBOS-5. I ended up getting the Jet JBOS-5.

Reasons for that choice?
- 1/4" spindle up to 3" spindle (3" is extra $$ :mad: )
-- Wanted capability to do small radii sanding
- I only wanted a spindle sander (don't need a small horizontal belt sander)
- Oscillating mechanism/gears are encased in a sealed oil bath
- Induction motor vs. universal motor (Quieter & 1/2 hp vs. 3/8 hp)
- Cast iron table (flat work surface)
- Lifetime industrial-level tool (84 lbs vs. 42 lbs)
- On sale for $352 (at this point in life $152 = negligible)

I've only used it for one project so far, but it has performed to all expectations.

Although I believe I got the best bench top spindle sander, there's no doubt that the Ridgid is an excellent, versatile unit. You can't really go wrong with the Rigid.)

Good luck on your choice. Remember, the hunt is half the fun! :D

Billbo
Smyrna, GA

Jeffrey Makiel
07-14-2009, 6:47 AM
I just bought a Jet benchtop. It's a nicely made machine. Virtually no plastic parts.

The Jet has a large 3" spindle option. It comes with an array of smaller spindles from 2" down to 1/4".

The entire cast iron top tilts and is quite beefy.

It's a bit more pricey than the Rigid. However, watch for sales events. Jet is due for another promotion event :rolleyes:.

-Jeff :)

Mark Ball
07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Well guys, it was my birthday yesterday, so I treated myself to the Rigid. Got it home, unpacked it and gave it a try. I must say for 200 I am impressed with the machine. Lots of power, everything stores onboard so no hunting for parts, and the oscillating belt sander is going to come in handy. Great advice given here.