PDA

View Full Version : jigsaw purchase advice

Joshua Welch
07-13-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm looking to buy a jigsaw for general DIY purposes. I was looking at either the Bosch 1591, or the Makita 4351. Any guidance from all you experienced people? I don't have either locally available to try out, I don't think. One concern I have is size. I've got fairly small hands, and want to make sure that I get something that isn't too bulky.

Robert Reece
07-13-2009, 12:17 PM
The best small power tool I own. Hands down. The barrel grip is so much easier to control, I don't know why anybody buys the kind with a handle.

Joshua Welch
07-13-2009, 12:25 PM
The best small power tool I own. Hands down. The barrel grip is so much easier to control, I don't know why anybody buys the kind with a handle.

Yes, I think I'm sold on the barrel grip. Seems so much better to me. The main concern I have is size. When I was looking to buy a circular saw, I had all but settled on a Milwaukee that had stellar ratings (over a Makita that also rated very well). Went to hold both, and I couldn't stand the Milwaukee. The Makita just felt much better to me. That's why I'm curious about the size of these two barrel grip jigsaws.

Russ Boyd
07-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I vote Bosch also. I actually prefer the other grip, but have both and either one is a great tool.

glenn bradley
07-13-2009, 1:10 PM
+1 on the 1591. Love it but, the barrel vs. top handle is a personal preference. I feel more control with the barrel grip, others feel the opposite. there is a slightly cheaper model but the blade change is a bit of a song and dance. I would avoid it for the small difference in price. If you search here you will find a lot of threads where the same advice is given; Bosch 159X, Bosch 159X, Bosch 159X, etc.

Peter Pedisich
07-13-2009, 1:23 PM
Joshua,

I got the Festool over the Bosch due to size/ergonomics only. The Bosch is an awesome saw, but The Makita is smaller.
The Bosch will cut true even in thick timbers, the Makita may be be a better fit for more control, which is more important to you?
Plus the Bosch comes with a great case.

Pete

Lori Kleinberg
07-13-2009, 4:54 PM
Love my Bosch 159X top handle jigsaw. It cuts like a hot knife through butter. My son even used it for some laminate flooring (small cut out areas)with the proper type
of blade. Also check out Boschs' new jigsaw blades for wood, they are great.

Ron Jones near Indy
07-13-2009, 5:12 PM
I went from a Craftsman, cheap one at that, to the Bosch. It was like going from a Yugo to a Lexus. I know I'm a little weird according to the majority here, but I like the handle.

Steve Mellott
07-13-2009, 5:17 PM
Bosch. I've only ever used the handle grip, so can't comment on the barrell grip.

Steve

Garrett Ellis
07-13-2009, 6:47 PM
i have the bosch barrel grip and it has worked great for me (i also have small hands). the only thing that could be a downside is that it can get fairly warm after using for a while, however in no way does it bother me or prevent me from using it. it may just be the nature of any barrel grip jigsaw.

if i was in your shoes, i would get the bosch because it's cheaper and has great reviews everywhere i read.

Danny Thompson
07-13-2009, 6:48 PM
Bosch. A quantum leap in jigsaw performance.

Jim Finn
07-14-2009, 9:06 PM
I worked for decades in construction and used a Makita because the blade changing on the Bosch was such a pain and required a special screwdriver. Now I have a Bosch...since the blade changes can now be done without any tools, Bosch is a much better choice today.