PDA

View Full Version : Variable Speed Jointer - All by itself?

Rick Bullick
07-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I have owned a Delta JT160 variable bench top jointer for a number of years and have used it a good number of times. Recently, while milling some wood, the jointer's motor was going haywire. The speed was set to the max but it started slowing and speeding up again without me touching it. I am a novice woodworker and home remodeler, but motors and electronics are beyond me. Does anyone have any clue as to what might be going on and how to fix it? Is it worth paying to fix such a low end model machine, or maybe it is time to upgrade? Thanks for any input.

Frank Drew
07-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Rick,

If a fix involves losing the variable speed feature, I don't think you'd miss it; I can't think of any advantage to a slow cutterhead speed in a jointer.

Chip Lindley
07-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Ditto Frank! VS on a jointer has never been an issue for me. Delta will no doubt want *an arm and a leg* for the VS module. If the module can be taken apart, blow the dust out of it. I have done this with older Porter-Cable 518 VS routers.

IF that fails to fix, the module can be bypassed to provide full speed at all times. Wire around the module with a new on/off switch from power souce to the motor.

Rick Bullick
07-14-2009, 7:37 AM
Well, I was feeling a little bit ambitious after dinner last night and I took apart the jointer. I managed to bypass the VS switch, and lo and behold the jointer works perfectly at top speed. Thanks for the advice.

Chip Lindley
07-14-2009, 9:33 AM
Happy Jointing, Rick!