PDA

View Full Version : Turning chuck choices

David Reed
07-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I have been a lurker to the site for a while and only posted a couple of times in the past. I have been working on my home built lathe for the past 33 years and finally went out and purchased a new 16" lathe. I am looking to turn more bowls and large free form projects (outboard when needed) and need to upgrade to a chuck. I often turn 12-20" on a face plate now but want the convenience of a chuck and need some advise on the brands out there. I have looked at both the Oneway and the SuperNova 2 and so far the Nova looks like it wins my vote. Any comments on these or other chucks which I should be looking at?
thanks for all the great information I have gleaned as a lurker in the past.
David Reed

Alan Trout
07-13-2009, 10:27 AM
All are good chucks you are looking at. I would also look at Vicmarc. With this being said I use Nova chucks I have a G3 and a Super Nova 2. They both work well and have not had a single issue with either of them. What helped with my decision was jaws were interchangable across the entire line and I have a local source that has a very good selection of jaws just in case I need a different style quickly.

Again I don't think you will have any trouble with the Oneway, Vic, or Nova.

Good Luck

Alan

Eugene Malone
07-13-2009, 10:42 AM
HI, I have the supernova2 I have two of them as a matter of fact, but a friend has the Vicmarc 5 1/2" and it is the real thing for large work. More exp. but I believe worth it.
REgards Eugene.

Jonathan Harvey
07-13-2009, 1:35 PM
I work with a oneway stronghold as well as the vicmarc VM120 and love both of them equally. I think you would be happy with either of these chucks.

Dave Ogren
07-13-2009, 1:52 PM
I have a couple of Vicmarc VM120 , and they have done everything that I expected. I have only turned up to 14" bowls. One of the things I like most is the hex key. I have heard that Oneway is also excellent, but I didn't want the serrated jaws. Good luck.

Dave

Bernie Weishapl
07-13-2009, 3:02 PM
I have 2 Vicmarc's and they are excellent chucks. The VM 120 will handle anything you can throw at it. Also have a onewy Talon but not quite the chuck the VM 120 is.

Ryan Baker
07-13-2009, 7:48 PM
I currently use SN2 s. They are very good chucks, significantly less expensive than Oneway or Vicmarc, and have an extensive line of compatible jaws that are easy to get locally (as was mentioned). Someday I will probably add a Oneway Stronghold for the bigger jobs. All of those are good chucks and will serve you well with the proper jaws for the job. There are other good chucks too. Just avoid the cheap ones, which are a false economy.

Jim C Bradley
07-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Hi,

I am glad you started this thread. I ordered a Vicmarc 3.5 inch in May from Craft Supplies USA because of a recommendation at the Ontario WW Show. It has been backordered ever since. I cancelled the order today...enough is enough. I was going to do a search to find out what members thought of different chucks. You saved me the work.

Thanks and Enjoy,

Jim

David Reed
07-14-2009, 1:19 AM
Thanks so much for all the input. I have decided to make my first chuck the SuperNova 2, although the Vicmarc was very enticing. I ordered a couple extra jaw sets for good measure. I read somewhere that the Mega Jumbo Jaws for Oneway Stronghold Chuck will either fit directly or with minor mods. Anyone familiar with this application. I like the idea of this chuck to finish off the bottom of a finished edge bowl. I am also considering making a vacuum chuck as this will make finishing raw edged forms easier.
thanks again.
David Reed

Bill Blasic
07-14-2009, 6:28 AM
David,
Look at the Nova Power Grip Jaws for your SN2, this combo will take you as heavy as you might want to go. Recommended for up to 29" bowls with this combo. If you need bigger there is always the Titan chuck.
Bill

Ryan Baker
07-14-2009, 11:08 PM
David,
Without looking up the Oneway mega Jumbo Jaws, those are essentially the same as the Teknatool Cole jaws, if I remember right. You could just get those. They do work for reversing bowls, though I find that I almost never use mine. More often I will just use a friction or jamb chuck. If you make a vacuum chuck, you really will probably never use the Cole jaws again.

The Nova Power Grip jaws are nice. I think I actually prefer the 100mm jaws slightly. Yes the Titan was the big brother, but you would be hard pressed to locate one these days. It didn't really add much capacity.

BTW, Grizzly makes a compatible alternative to the Vicmarc if someone is following that path and looking to save some cash.

John W Dixon
07-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Highland Woodworking has the Supernova 2 on sale right now for $179 and that includes a free set of the large Cole jaws. The chuck comes standard with the 2" jaws and the woodworm screw. I ordered from them and was very impressed. Shipped very fast and getting the Cole jaws for nothing was a nice bonus. Free shipping on orders over $100 too. You will need an insert for it to fit your lathe. They sell those also.

John

Brian Novotny
07-16-2009, 6:18 AM
Go with the Nova, I have 2 g3's and a supernova. All mentioned are great quality, but what seperates nova chucks from the others are the much cheaper price, interchangeable jaws and inserts, and an "unconditional" 2 year warranty which means that if you drop it from the fourth floor they will replace it. I think you can get a nova g3 with correct insert for about $144.00. And with a nova chuck if you change lathes or upgrade chucks the chuck is good on the new lathe (only correct insert required) and any jaws you buy (which can add up) can be used on your new nova chuck....IMO this makes nova the brand to buy.....and their customer service is top notch!!!! I had trouble holding hollow forms with the grizzly chuck, but have never had a problem with nova chucks. If you're looking for quality and something to impress your friends then go with the vicmarc.

Jack Riley
07-16-2009, 4:30 PM
I have two Stronghold and one Talon and have been very pleased with each. I would encourage anyone to build a vacuum system to finish off the bottoms. I haven't used my cole jaws since putting my vacuum system together. The most expensive part, if purchased new, is the pump and you can buy a new one from surplus for less than $75. That beats $650 from the dealers! You can't go wrong getting a brand name chuck. Oneway does makes jaws without serrated edges now, by the way.