PDA

View Full Version : Simple, but Satisfying

Dave Anderson NH
08-31-2004, 6:03 AM
Over the weekend I managed to get some shop time and among the things I got done was a rehab of an old family tool. the object of this exercise was to put on display in the shop a type 4 Stanley #3 smoothing plane dating from 1878-1884. I didn't need it for use since I already have a #3 and a #3C in my plane till, but this one is very special to me. There are a few nicks out of the top of the tote, and the iron is well used having only about 1/2" left before the eye hole, but it is still very usable and was sharp. All it needed was a washdown and toothbrush scrub with mineral spirits to get rid of the dust and grunge and then a final coat of wax- this tool was well taken care of.

The significance of the tool is that it was purchased by Robert Anderson Jr, my G-G-Grandfather, and has his initials drilled into the left cheek. It deserved a place of honor in my bench room, and now it has it. While primarily for display, I will occasionally take a swipe or two on a board just to keep it happy and continue its multi-generation tradition of use. It was in the toolchest my namesake, my Uncle David, sent me this Spring from Idaho.

Dick Parr
08-31-2004, 8:09 AM
Very nice Dave, it looks good sitting there.

Jerry Palmer
08-31-2004, 11:44 AM
Yes Sir, very nice, indeed.

Tom Stovell
08-31-2004, 9:09 PM
Old tools with a personal history have to be among the most satisfying things one can display.

Nice job!

Tom

Roy Wall
08-31-2004, 9:18 PM
Old tools with a personal history have to be among the most satisfying things one can display.

Nice job!

Tom
Totally Agree !! Like you mentioned Dave, keep on using that wonderful plane now and then and passing the memory down........

Roy

Bart Leetch
08-31-2004, 10:39 PM
That just great Dave. Everyone should have a tool that has been passed down through the generations to treasure & display in their shop. :)

Tyler Howell
08-31-2004, 11:18 PM
Now these are the real works of art that built....... the world!;)

Charles McKinley
09-02-2004, 12:27 AM
Very nice Dave,

It is sitting in a well deserved place of honor.

Sparky Paessler
09-02-2004, 9:11 AM
looks great! Old family tools mean a lot to me too. I have several old tools from my Grandfathers that I wouldn't take anything for.

Herb Blair
09-03-2004, 8:39 AM
Very Nice! Great presentation.

Wendell Wilkerson
09-03-2004, 10:56 AM
You know you're starting a dangerous trend Dave. Some HGTV design show is going to see that picture and decide that old tools are the new "in" thing for room decoration. Next thing you know, average people are going to be scouring flea markets for "room decorations". Prices of common beater #4 bench planes will sky rocket. I hope you're happy :p

Seriously, though, that is a really nice way to honor a special tool.

Wendell