PDA

View Full Version : Radial Arm Saw

Mike Wellner
07-12-2009, 11:16 PM
I realized a need for a RAS, it would be nice when crosscutting plywood 24" wide. Which model of Dewalt or Delta would I be looking for? How big of a blade be recommended? I would have to stay within single phase.

Rob Damon
07-12-2009, 11:37 PM
Mike,

I have the Delta 18" RAS with a 5hp and it is still single phase.

But with that said looking at the Delta site all of their saws from 14" to the 18" can crosscut a 29" (1" thick) board. But keep in mind the 14" RAS is $5500. I picked mine up used (1 year old) for much less than that.

I don't think Dewalt still makes RAS (they don't list it on their website). You maybe able to pick up a used one.

Original Saw was another one that I looked into before getting a deal on the Delta. The 12" Original Saw crosscuts 24" and is about $3600.

Rob

johnny means
07-12-2009, 11:44 PM
You would be looking for at least a 14 incher. Anything with that capacity is going to be in the 6K range. At that point why not step up to a small slider? A panel saw would certainly do a better job of cutting plywood (what they're built for). RASs don't work to well with ply because of the limited amount of blade emerging on the bottom of the work piece. They are also notoriously hard to square up (tables have to be squared on 3 axes).

http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/CategoryOverview.aspx?catPath=4274.4313.4324

Mike Wellner
07-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Actually I plan on buying used, 60s or 70s vintage as long as its accurate and has ease of adjustment for alignment. I know about the Original Saw Company-purchased the rights from DeWalt.

Chip Lindley
07-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Any of the big DeWalt or Delta/Rockwell RAS's 3HP or greater will crosscut 24". Single-phase machines are available in 3hp or 5hp. A 14" blade would be sufficient. The newest big Delta RAS's crosscut 29"! Some big DeWalts crosscut 30"!

Finding a used single-phase machine may be your main problem. Most of these beasts are 3-phase. If you consider buying new, also consider sticker shock!

Mike Wellner
07-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Any of the big DeWalt or Delta/Rockwell RAS's 3HP or greater will crosscut 24". Single-phase machines are available in 3hp or 5hp. A 14" blade would be sufficient. The newest big Delta RAS's crosscut 29"! Some big DeWalts crosscut 30"!

Finding a used single-phase machine may be your main problem. Most of these beasts are 3-phase. If you consider buying new, also consider sticker shock!

Too bad I can't trade in my 34-444 and get a $4500 rebate for my "clunker" of a saw.:D

Frank Drew
07-13-2009, 11:37 AM
At that point why not step up to a small slider? A panel saw would certainly do a better job of cutting plywood (what they're built for).

This was my thought, even before I saw how much good radial arm saws are going for ($3-6K :eek:).

A good sliding table saw can take care of virtually all of your cutting needs, in one tool.