PDA

View Full Version : Help with cabinet part sizes.

Dave Lehnert
07-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I have been asked to build some cabinets for a Fleetwood RV.
I have built all kinds of furniture, clock, lamps etc.. But not kitchen cabinet type stuff.
I am designing things right now but want to know if there is a standard size most use for face frames and rail and stile on the doors.
Doors will fit flat on the face frame but cover the opening. How much wider should the doors be than the opening. 3/8" on all sides???

Chip Lindley
07-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Hi Dave! Standard faceframes and rails/stiles can be from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2". I find extra wide FFs are a waste of stock and usable space. Especially drawer width. I use only 1-1/4" intermediate rails between openings in a drawer bank to allow more usable space.

Since space is at a premium in an RV, 1-1/2" or 1-3/4" FFs may look better. The galley area is also smallish and crowded, and smaller wood members may fit better with the scale of things.

Most common overlay for doors is 1/2" (called half overlay) for which hidden *European* hinges are readily available. GoodLuck!

bill mullin
07-13-2009, 7:36 AM
I used to use 3/8 overlay, but went to 1/2 for ease of measuring door sizes. Just add 1 inch to opening.

Also, make faceframes 1/2" wider than the box(1/4" each side), makes setting cabinets easier if walls aren't flat, or corners aren't square.

Karl Brogger
07-13-2009, 10:01 AM
Most common overlay for doors is 1/2" (called half overlay) for which hidden *European* hinges are readily available. GoodLuck!

That is not what a "Half overlay" is. Half overlay is the lip doors that partially go into the face frame, and partially over. Typically they only protrude from the face frame 3/8".

Sean Nagle
07-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Since space is precious in an RV, maybe frameless cabinets are the way to go?

Chip Lindley
07-13-2009, 12:21 PM
Karl, I stand 100% corrected! Further investigation reveals this is a *frameless* term. My slang use of the term was misleading. A Google search led me to the Rockler site with cabinet definitions: http://www.rockler.com/faq/faq_hingeglossary.cfm#Half%20Overlay

Half Overlay
"In frameless cabinet construction the box is typically made from 3/4 inch thick stock. A half overlay is commonly used in the middle of a run of cabinets where the doors share a common single partition wall. This hinge will allow the door to cover up half of the partition wall (or approximately 3/8"). Not to be confused with 1/2 inch overlay which will allow a door to cover up the cabinet or face frame by 1/2 inch."

That is not what a "Half overlay" is. Half overlay is the lip doors that partially go into the face frame, and partially over. Typically they only protrude from the face frame 3/8".

Ball's in your court......

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2009, 12:54 PM
I believe that the door Karl is referring to is partial inset.

It has a rebate on four edges to sit partially inside the door opening.

Full or half overlay refer to how much of the cabinet gable is covered by the door.

Regards, Rod.

Chip Lindley
07-13-2009, 1:14 PM
I believe that the door Karl is referring to is partial inset.

It has a rebate on four edges to sit partially inside the door opening.

Full or half overlay refer to how much of the cabinet gable is covered by the door.

Regards, Rod.

Yep, partial inset, OR partial overlay?
Rebate or rabbet? (I just call it the cabinet door lip)
Gable? or faceframe? rail/stile? carcass? (if frameless)

It's amazing how many different terms arise to discribe the same cabinet parts. Depends on where you grew up and who you learned from. Most magazines or books relate the *correct* terms, but regional/slang/wrong terms are alive and well. A guy in New Hampshire will never understand a guy from Arkansas....and vice versa....

Rod Sheridan
07-13-2009, 2:47 PM
Yep, partial inset, OR partial overlay?
Rebate or rabbet? (I just call it the cabinet door lip)
Gable? or faceframe? rail/stile? carcass? (if frameless)

It's amazing how many different terms arise to discribe the same cabinet parts. Depends on where you grew up and who you learned from. Most magazines or books relate the *correct* terms, but regional/slang/wrong terms are alive and well. A guy in New Hampshire will never understand a guy from Arkansas....and vice versa....

Yes Chip it is interesting, I was taught that a gable was an end panel, which is part of the carcass.

What do the test books say?

Regards, Rod.

Karl Brogger
07-14-2009, 6:31 PM
Crap. Now I'm confused.

That would make sense. When I build cabinets, (I don't do Euro, YUCK), some times I do what I call a full overlay. Where there is only an 1/8" gap between doors & drawer fronts, and the whole frame is covered. Its the closest thing I can give a customer to a euro look, with out all of the misery of building euro box's.

the lip doors w/ the 3/8" rabbet I've always heard them called 1/2 overlay. But, partial inset is a term I've heard too.

Something to think about for RV cabinets as well. I would not use any adjustable shelves. I woundn't think bouncing down the road would do them any favors.