PDA

View Full Version : Latest Puzzle Job

Joe Pelonio
07-12-2009, 5:58 PM
I just finished 300 of these Wednesday night, and have an order now for 150 more with slightly different engraving on it. The customer (wholesale job) needs them for a different event. The last batch went to the Google headquarters for the Foo Camp (hacker festival??):eek:

These will go to the international puzzle party in San Francisco and are due 7/28. Here's the acrylic left to engrave/cut, and the stacks waiting for assembly, each puzzle has 15 parts. Two layers of pieces on a 3 layer base.
I have not tried solving it. Note the handy remotes for the TV and the A/C!

Frank Corker
07-12-2009, 6:24 PM
For heavens sake Joe, don't drop them, putting them all back in order can be a headache :D

Joe Pelonio
07-12-2009, 6:38 PM
Where were you a week ago with that warning! :rolleyes:

Garrett Nors
07-12-2009, 6:41 PM
What does it look like assembled?

Dee Gallo
07-12-2009, 6:47 PM
So, after the party will someone send you a completed one or a picture so we can see it?

Hope you're not in an earthquake zone, that would be last thing you need with those piles!

Thanks for sharing, nice to see good work going on!

:) dee

Joe Pelonio
07-12-2009, 7:23 PM
We have not had any noticeable earthquakes in months! ;)

Here it is completed. The pieces are supposed to line up to spell out something significant to the people at the event, I have no idea what. As you can see currently as I place them in there are letters on top of letters, and even on top of more letters.

Dee Gallo
07-12-2009, 7:33 PM
Oh wow - that is a cool idea! Do the pieces stay loose or do they lock inside the frame once placed?

:) dee

Joe Pelonio
07-12-2009, 7:46 PM
No, turn it over and they fall out. Don't ask how I know. I have to stack them tightly in the boxes.

Bill Cunningham
07-12-2009, 10:40 PM
It's obviously a Geek test, to be solved only by those 'without' a life :D

Steven Wallace
07-25-2009, 2:45 PM
That being said, then most of us on SMC should be able to figure those puzzles out in mere seconds.:DMost of us are kind of geekie as we figure out these laser problems and, if others are like me, my spouse said it was like I had no life when I got my laser.:confused: Hope you all have a sense of humor... come on I know you do!

Steven Wallace
07-25-2009, 2:55 PM
I am probably asking for TMI (too much information), as my kids would say, but here goes. I am used to hearing the word "NO", I think it was one of the first words my parents taught me. I see something like that and the thoughts start rolling through my head as they do with everyone else... Geez that is a lot of work, wonder how much he charging for those? Where did he get that puzzle idea? Would he share the pattern? How the heck did the first person find him and not me?

Joe Pelonio
07-25-2009, 6:48 PM
You can see how much he sells them for on his website. I get a little better than half and he provides the material. This one is not for sale to the public yet, but will be priced the same as the highest he's selling there now

He found me through his employer, Microsoft, who found me earlier to make some puzzles for them as a gift for interns at the end of their term. He had designed it, and I was the nearest place to them that did laser work. He's gone off and started his puzzle business and stuck with me for years now.
As a programmer he's written software that designs the puzzles.

BTW, I'm getting sick of them, right now working on another 150 due tomorrow. But then he'll pay me! ;)

http://www.pavelspuzzles.com/

and a little about him. They don't mention it but he's also a really nice guy!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavel_Curtis

Steven Wallace
07-26-2009, 1:29 PM
Joe that was more info than I expected and I appreciate your sharing. When you get tired of doing them, keep my name close at hand. :) I'll be your surrogate engraver. Again, Thanks