PDA

View Full Version : Another mfg. bites the dust. Shopsmith inc.

Dave Lehnert
07-12-2009, 5:37 PM
Shopsmith on Friday fired all their employees and closed the chapter on Shopsmith inc.
The good news is they are going to reorganize under the name "RLF Shop, LLC"

David Dockstader
07-12-2009, 6:50 PM
Dave,

Where did you hear this? I visited Shopsmith about a month ago and things looked pretty deserted, but I don't see anything on their website. I'm the head of the Shopsmith SIG for my woodworking club and I would like to get some sort of confirmation to send out to our members. Thanks.:(

Dave Lehnert
07-12-2009, 7:12 PM
Not allowed to post a link to another forum on here. Check your pm.

Nick that use to do the Shopsmith sawdust videos confirmed it on his web site.

David Dockstader
07-12-2009, 7:34 PM
Thanks for the info, Dave. If anyone should know, Nick should. Unfortunately, I guess I've just canceled that order I was going to make. Not big, mind you, but little stuff I wanted. I guess the premonition I had when I visited last month was spot on. Too bad. Genuinely good product and American-made, to boot. We'll have to see how this all plays out.:confused:

Dell Littlefield
07-12-2009, 8:54 PM
I guess I should have seen the handwriting on the wall when the parts I ordered for my planer were back ordered with "2 to 3 weeks delivery". I got the same answer every time I called. (It has been over 7 weeks now) Unfortunately, I paid in advance.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-12-2009, 10:58 PM
Shopsmith bit the dust? They, or someone from them just posted a thread that they would be releasing a "new" headstock or something that has digital varialbe speed for us turners.

That definetely makes me sad.....

John Smithy
07-13-2009, 12:31 PM
I for one am shocked, shocked I say that a company that hasn't changed their core product in 56 years has gone bankrupt.

Ted Calver
07-13-2009, 12:36 PM
LOL John..i agree

Heather Thompson
07-13-2009, 12:43 PM
I just called their customer service number and spoke with Jan, they have restructured but are still there. I started woodworking with my father when my eyes were about level with the lower tubes, he still has the machine and works on it most days.

Heather :)

Kyle Iwamoto
07-13-2009, 1:31 PM
Well, I'm glad they're still alive. They must make a good product, they still make the same thing, as mentioned before, and mine still works. 25 years and counting. And I can buy parts.

Perhaps they should start upgrading.... Time stands still for no one.

Heather Thompson
07-13-2009, 3:04 PM
As I posted before, ShopSmith is still alive And Continues to make changes to the core machine, just received an e-mail from Bob Folkerth (CEO ShopSmith), see below.

!! GENUINELY EXCITING NEWS !! -- FROM YOUR FRIENDS AT SHOPSMITH

I have some really FANTASTIC news for all Shopsmith MARK V Owners, as well as those who may have considered adding a MARK V to their home workshops.

Soon (late Summer of THIS year), Shopsmith will introduce an all-new, upgraded, computer-driven Headstock for the Shopsmith MARK V. Called the MARK V PowerPro®, here are a few of the features this new Headstock will provide:

• state-of-the-art motor drive that will pull a fraction of the start-up amperage of current MARK V models (brown-outs are a thing of the past).

• deliver 1-1/2 times to over 2-1/2 times the horsepower and torque (depending upon selected speed) of current MARK V models.

• offer a reversible drive system that will allow you to perform operations that you just can't do with your current model Headstock.

In addition, you'll enjoy a much broader speed range than with your current MARK V -- and change speeds with digital, keypad controls rather than a mechanical dial. And, since there will be fewer moving parts, there will be less maintenance than current machines.

This is truly a quantum-leap to the 21st Century Shopsmith MARK V you've been waiting for…and, of course, you'll be able to upgrade your current Model MARK V with this new Headstock at a fraction of the cost of a complete new machine.

PLUS…as always, all of your current accessories will work with this new Headstock, without having to make any additional adjustments or changes.

So, watch for more information between now and the end of Summer and get ready to step up to the 21st Century Woodworking Wonder….the all-new, Shopsmith MARK V PowerPro® Headstock.

It's been a long time coming…but you won't have much longer to wait. I assure you, it will be well worth it !

Bob Folkerth
CEO, Shopsmith, Inc.

Dave Lehnert
07-13-2009, 3:30 PM
I for one am shocked, shocked I say that a company that hasn't changed their core product in 56 years has gone bankrupt.

Guess they should advance like other tool mfg. Start making cheap junk and sell it to the blue and orange Borg. That will help:D

Shopsmith problem is they make too good a tool. Once you buy it you will never need another. Maybe a part from time to time.
My Shopsmith wood planer is around 20 years old. I buy most all my wood in the rough. I have only needed to replace the belt and sharpen the blades.
My MarkV was purchased in 1989 and have only replaced the power switch.

Heather Thompson
07-13-2009, 3:38 PM
Dave,

ShopSmith used to sell thru the Blue Borg, bought mine there at a Demo years ago, they changed their marketing practice to save money. I personally admire a company that will no longer do business with the BORGS, saw SnapOn Tools at a local borg over the weekend, sad day.

Heather

Guess they should advance like other tool mfg. Start making cheap junk and sell it to the blue and orange Borg. That will help:D

Dave Lehnert
07-13-2009, 3:45 PM
Dave,

ShopSmith used to sell thru the Blue Borg, bought mine there at a Demo years ago, they changed their marketing practice to save money. I personally admire a company that will no longer do business with the BORGS, saw SnapOn Tools at a local borg over the weekend, sad day.

Heather

They also sold at the orange one too for a short time.
Shopsmith is about an hour drive up north for me. It truly is a family run place. I got to take a tour of the plant last summer. They still use the same equipment today to manufacture the MarkV as they did in the beginning. Made from the old model 10ER.
I was shocked at how much quality control goes into each unit. They have the parts cast for them and do the machining in house. In the middle of the factory is a climate controlled room with HUGE granite blocks to do accurate measurements.
They only have like 15-20 employees.

Ed Sallee
07-13-2009, 6:50 PM
I have a Mark V - 1953 model and it's still going strong.

Alan Schaffter
07-15-2009, 1:31 AM
There sure are a lot of polite folks out there- no Shopsmith nay sayers?

I was a Shopsmith owner for 20 years. Once I stopped moving around the country and had some real shop space I unloaded it in a flash and bought REAL WW machines. The Shopsmith does a lot of things, but none of them especially well, especially the table saw with a tiny table that tilts!- downright scarey! As proof, look at most of the upgrades and accessories SS has added over the years- they are designed to make the SS more like a standalone WW machine! The SS has a niche for those with limited money (though not so true any more) and no space, but if you have the space and money for standalone tools you will be better off going that route.

It is like the Toyota commercial- all these cars comparing themselves to the Camry- why not just buy the real thing.

Sorry if this bothers SS owners.

Joe Scharle
07-15-2009, 7:38 AM
I received a SALE email last night. Somebody's there.

Alan Schaffter
07-15-2009, 9:26 AM
I got one on the 13th. Yes, I am on the list for SS e-sales. The best set of brad point drill bits I ever had I got from SS many years ago (the new set I got from them this year wasn't nearly as nice)

Larry Browning
07-15-2009, 9:34 AM
I received a SALE email last night. Somebody's there.
Yeah, me too! Plus, There is nothing on their website about this, or even the new headstock that is supposedly coming soon.

I have to agree with one of the previous posters, who remarked that is is not too surprising that a company who hasn't changed their basic product design in over 50 years is going under.

This new headstock sounds very interesting and a step in the right direction for them. But, if they follow their past pricing model, this thing will cost way too much for what it is. My guess for the price is $1,800 to $2,200. Too rich for my blood.

Steve Rozmiarek
07-15-2009, 9:46 AM
Dave,

Heather

Heather, which Borg was selling Snap On?

Heather Thompson
07-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Steve,

Well it may not be considered a true BORG, but it was Costco, close enough for me. Please do not get me wrong, I love Costco, but power washers, socket sets, flashlights that are made in China. I called Snap On to ask where their tools are made, (I already knew) the rep I spoke with was fairly short with me, she admitted that some are made here in the states and some are made offshore (China). I have used Snap On tools for years, built plenty of cars, bikes and trucks, broke a breaker bar on my husbands Subaru on Monday, bought the BB last year. Seems to me that if I want to have good tools I will need to do business with the truck, it is ashame that companies degrade quality for profit.

Heather

Dave Lehnert
07-15-2009, 1:08 PM

I was a Shopsmith owner for 20 years. Once I stopped moving around the country and had some real shop space I unloaded it in a flash and bought REAL WW machines. The Shopsmith does a lot of things, but none of them especially well, especially the table saw with a tiny table that tilts!- downright scarey! As proof, look at most of the upgrades and accessories SS has added over the years- they are designed to make the SS more like a standalone WW machine! The SS has a niche for those with limited money (though not so true any more) and no space, but if you have the space and money for standalone tools you will be better off going that route.

It is like the Toyota commercial- all these cars comparing themselves to the Camry- why not just buy the real thing.

I happen to have a Shopsmith and a full shop of freestanding equipment. The shopsmith is a good complement to any freestand tool shop.

"The Shopsmith does a lot of things, but none of them especially well,"

I would have to disagree when it comes to the drill press and disk sander.
The variable speed disk sander is just too nice. Belt sander too.

The SS jointer is only 4" but use it often again of the variable speed on figured woods.

Just received this e-mail message from Shopsmith that shows advantages to the SS that are often over looked compaired to free standing. If you start to look at the shopsmith in this way you can see the fun in using it.

Since the versatile Shopsmith MARK V uses the same worktable, motor and controls for all operations, you often “borrow” the features of one tool for use with another.

For example, tilt the saw Table and angle the Miter Gauge to cut a compound corner for a shadow-box picture frame.

Swap the Sanding Disc for the Saw Blade and (without changing the Table or Miter angles) smooth sand the edge you just cut.

Swap the Drill Chuck for the Sanding Disc and drill reinforcing dowel pilot holes in each corner (again...without touching your Table or Miter angles).

To perform these tasks with individual machines, you’d have to make three identical set-ups to be absolutely certain everything came out right. A tough job, even for a skilled woodworker.

Not with the MARK V. Set the Table tilt and Miter angle once and forget it.

People will often compare the price of free standing tools to the Shopsmith. But that comparison is always made with the USA made Shopsmith with overseas made freestanding. What US company of any product is going to win that battle??

I live about an hour away from the Shopsmith factory. When I make a purchase I see the people who make the product, I talk to the lady who answers the customer service line. I talk to the guy who designed the new item I just purchased. I see that they are strugling and working their a$$ off to make things work. It brings things close to home how our $$$ spent here stays here. And I kinda feel good about that.

Doug Kerfoot
11-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Folks will always have their personal preferences. I personally agree that the tablesaw is the weakest portion of the Shopsmith. That is why I have never used it.

As mentioned previously, it makes for a great disk sander, drill press and horizontal boring machine. I actually bought mine used for use as a lathe. For less than the cost of a new midi lathe, I got much greater power and capacity. I have since added the 6"x48" belt sander and the bandsaw.

I have actually replaced my standalone disk/belt sander and drill press because I like the Shopsmith versions so much better.

The basic MK5 brings tremendous power and variable speed to all of these tools in a very compact form factor. Combined with my tablesaw, I have amazing flexibility.

It is definitely worth mentioning that all of this should be applied to the 1 1/8 HP MK5 with the double bearings. Any model newer than the mid 80's will fit this bill.