PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight Dust Collector problem...

Jim Kappel
07-12-2009, 3:53 PM
I have been using my Harbor Freight Dust Collector the past 24 hours with no problems. Now all of a sudden today, she won't work.

It is making a low buzzing sound when switched on but won't power up fully.

Help!! It's basically new. Is it a simple power shortage? If so, why was it working before?

Thanks,
Jim

Bill White
07-12-2009, 4:03 PM
Starter capacitor?
I had a prob with the switch on mine.
They are pretty good about warrenty stuff. Contact them.
Bill

Dwayne Watt
07-12-2009, 4:03 PM
offhand, it sounds like starting capacitor failed on the motor. Without the cap, there is not enough current for the motor to start turning.

Jim Kappel
07-12-2009, 4:24 PM
Just had my HVAC neighbor take a look see, he also thinks start cap. Motor is real hot. He said let it cool down, but it's probably the start cap. I have it on a 20 amp breaker and it's tripping it. If we spin the fan blade by hand and then hit the power switch it almost gets to full speed and then trips out.

Thanks,
Jim

Frank Hagan
07-12-2009, 6:48 PM
It could be a start/run capacitor, but knowing HF, I doubt it (they are more expensive motors than one with just a start cap).

When you're running it by spinning the impeller first, are you leaving it without the suction side connected? It could be pulling too many amps that way and tripping out. You need some restriction on the suction side according to what I've read on-line about them.

David G Baker
07-12-2009, 6:58 PM
Jim K,
Check to make sure the impeller turns, you could have a stuck impeller. If the impeller turns freely then the capacitor is the next best possibility.

David Kreuzberg
07-13-2009, 10:23 PM
If the collector is only a couple of days old, simply take it back to HF and demand a new replacement.

kreuzie

David Hostetler
07-14-2009, 8:14 PM
How's the progress with the DC? Inquiring minds want to know, or something like that...

Jim Kappel
07-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Replaced start cap. Appeared to work....for about 30 minutes....brought it back to the shop last night. Picked it up today. Worked fine today....the guy that fixed it wasn't there so I'm calling tomorrow to find out.

I'm certainly going to find out the whole situation so in case it happens again I don't have to keep paying. I'm $60 in so far and have made 4 trips of 23 miles. Getting old.

BTW, I bought the DC last year and of course the warranty is only 90 days. Darn it!

Jim