PDA

View Full Version : Help Dust hood for Delta Shaper

Paul Greathouse
07-12-2009, 3:51 PM
I picked up this Delta/Rockwell Shaper a few months ago. The guy I bought it from had bought it used and had never used dust collection on it. I would like to get it connected to my Onieda Cyclone but I'm kind of at a lose for the best way to do it. The hole in the dust hood is really small, about 2 3/4". Looks like there's a part I'm missing.

I have the original owners manual but I don't see anything that's supposed to connect to the dust hood. Would one of you that is more familiar with these older machines direct me to a picture of what I should have or better yet where I can get it. It doesn't have to be OEM, just something that will work. I've been watching Ebay but I haven't found anything yet.

Tom Wassack
07-12-2009, 9:18 PM
Greetings from NC!
Paul,
The dust connector you are looking for is a Delta part number 50-234. It has been discontinued, but I Googled Delta and the part number and received numerous hits. According to one of my older Delta manuals, the part attached to the fence guard assembly of the HD shaper and has a 5 inch diameter outlet. I have the same shaper as yours with this adapter (and a 2 HP Oneida commercial cyclone) - collection is okay with this setup.

Respectfully,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Chip Lindley
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Paul, if you can find the Delta adapter, all is well! IF not, you can cut out a circular piece of 3/4" ply or MDF to just fit inside your DC hose, to be secured on the outside with a hose clamp. Cut a 2-3/4" hole in the disc *offset* to match the the hood opening. Bore 3 bolt holes to line up with the three in the cast iron, and you now have a *PoMan's* quickie adapter!

Paul Greathouse
07-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Thank You, Tom and Chip

I'll check out the Delta adapter and if that doesn't pan out I'll use Chip's idea. Other than dust collection this old shaper is a great tool and is in like new operating condition.

Tom Wassack
07-13-2009, 8:30 AM
Greetings from NC!
Paul,
In my original post I mis-typed the Delta part number as 20-234. The correct part number is 50-234.

Here's a low-res photo of the Delta part.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m150/TomRandNC/DL50234_l.jpg

Respectfully,
Tom Wassack
Asheboro, NC

Paul Greathouse
12-27-2009, 6:28 PM
I'm digging up this old thread to show you the solution I came up with for the dust collection on my Delta Shaper. The two oak pieces that are joined togeather have different size holes in them. The piece closest to the shaper has a hole the same size as the opening in the shaper hood and the piece that the dust collection connects too has a 4" hole. The piece closest to the shaper is drilled for machine screws.

Here's a picture:

Chip Lindley
12-28-2009, 12:56 AM
WTG! Paul! And you did it lots cheaper than $32.xx plus shipping!