PDA

View Full Version : Which miter saw???

Bill White
07-12-2009, 3:33 PM
My 12 yr. old Delta cast iron monster has developed a crack in the casting. Still working, but I want to replace with a 10" with an alum. body due to weight (the saw's-not mine).
A big ol' slider would be swell, but not in the scheme of things. Festool is out of the picture.
Got any suggestions as to which one is best for the bucks?
Bill :rolleyes:

Jim Rimmer
07-12-2009, 5:04 PM
Like everything else, it depends on how much you use it. I've got a ProTech from the borg I've had for years and it works great but i am a hobbyist and don't use it all day long. I have tackled big projects with it, though - wood fence replacement where every slat had to be cut off and a bamboo floor (pretty hard stuff) that required straight and angle cuts.

Paul Ryan
07-12-2009, 5:31 PM
Dont mess around buy a makita, the others are good but the makita is the best. The nice thing right now is you maybe able to find a L1013 on close out right now. They have a new model comming out the L1016 so I heard that the 1013 had been on clearance, check some Borgs.

Jim O'Dell
07-12-2009, 5:53 PM
I read someone say the Makita 1013 was at 299.00 at HD. Heck of a deal on that saw. In fact, if I could have bought that in the spring of '08 at that price instead of the Hitachi for 210.00, I'd have the Makita in my shop right now. Jim.

Mark Bosse
07-12-2009, 6:05 PM
I have had really good luck having castings fixed. If you go that route, it all depends on whether the crack is in a "shaft" area or anywhere else that is reasonalby flat.

They v the crack, fill by whatever they feel like (lots of "welding" methods out there) than they do a surface grind.

Lots of old stuff out there from the automotive pattern shops have fixes all over them. They still work.