PDA

View Full Version : Which Jointer, Which Jointer, is there one for me?

Will Hon
07-12-2009, 2:38 PM
There is a contractor/cabinet auctioning off a lot of stuff about 6 blocks up the road from me. I'm in the market for a Jointer, maybe a bandsaw (if the price is cheap), and possibly a planer... (I have a Grizzly G0505 12.5", but it keeps dying after not running to long.. possibly overheating :mad: i dunno, might be an easy fix, but it frustrates me).

If you think any of these would be a good "lifetime" kind of buy, that is what i'm looking for. Also, say a fair price one might give...:confused:

Jointers
Powermatic #053
Powermatic #60
Powermatic (unknown, but there is a third one in the pictures)

Planers
Belsaw 9123
Delta DC 380 15" <--:rolleyes: looks promising

Band Saws
Delta 12"
Delta 14"? (might be larger...)

Here is a link with some pictures. "They also have 2 PM66, a Uni, and a General!!! :eek: Too, bad i just bought a 1023SL...
http://www.lindsayauctions.com/salebills/JULY%2025%20FRITZEL/wood_working.htm

Will Hon
07-12-2009, 7:35 PM
hate to bump this, but re-reading my original post, i was a little vague and veered off subject. I am really only in the market for a jointer, but given the right price and opportunity i may buy a planer or a band saw.

I was really just looking for some input on the two known Powermatic Jointers and if anyone could identify the "unknown" one. Is one model significantly better than another? Is there enough discrepancy for it to matter? What should these units sell for? Thanks.

Stephen Edwards
07-12-2009, 8:18 PM
The first joiner looks like a nice 'un, if it's in good shape mechanically. I would one that size would take care of most folks' needs for a lifetime.

Pricing? Find out what a new one similar to it costs. I think that a rule of thumb is 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new one IF it's in really good shape. There are lots of opinions about that!

When I go to an auction to buy something I decide beforehand the maximum that I'm willing to pay for the item that I want. That applies to tools or anything else.

Then, I stick to it. If you're not careful, "auction fever" can win out over good judgment. Been there, done that, learned my lesson!

Good Luck!

Jeff Willard
07-13-2009, 12:19 AM
I was really just looking for some input on the two known Powermatic Jointers and if anyone could identify the "unknown" one. Is one model significantly better than another? Is there enough discrepancy for it to matter? What should these units sell for? Thanks.

The 53 would be an older 6" jointer. It has been replaced by the model 54 in the PM lineup. The 60 is a 8" jointer.

Chip Lindley
07-13-2009, 1:07 AM
That PM Model 60 8" jointer would be a keeper for life! IF you can get it for $500 or less, its a real bargain! $600 would be my top dollar.

The second pictured PM Model 53 jointer is an older 6" model that would also be a keeper if you can live with 6"! It would be a great buy at $350 or less.

The Delta DC380 15" planer would be a solid buy at $500 or less. Hopefully closer to $400.

That Delta 14" bandsaw has the riser to allow it to resaw 12". It also has a nice Baldor TEFC motor! $400 or less would be a good buy!

Every auction is different. All depends on who wants what the most, and is willing to spend for it! Decide what the machines are worth to you, according to your budget, and bid accordingly. Decide your TOP DOLLAR, and do not exceed it. There will be other bargains on other days! GoodLuck!

David Keller NC
07-13-2009, 1:04 PM
Hard to tell, but it looks like that equipment was used in a pro's shop. The problem with that is that it will have been used heavily.

On a jointer, the wear parts are the motor, the cutterhead pillow block bearings, the pulleys, and the portion of the table on the nfeed side.

I put that last part in bold italics because it's the one part that would be mucho expensive to re-furbish - you'd have to take the tables to a professional machine shop and get them surface ground, which is not a cheap proposition.

Personally, I'd wait until a hobbyist sold an 8" nice jointer like a DJ-20 or a Powermatic in your area. Even if you had to pay twice what everyone's suggesting ($1200), that would be a bargain for a lightly-used machine that you have to do nothing to vs. a heavily used machine that's going to require some real work.

Will Hon
07-13-2009, 3:30 PM
Thanks, for the input guys, i really appreciate it. Good point about the usage to David, i guess i'm use to buying from hobbyist, so i hadn't really thought about that. Maybe no one will show up and i can get a real deal :D.

Larry Fox
07-13-2009, 4:26 PM
I always view machinery purchases like this. If they are in decent / serviceable shape and you can get them for a good deal, buy them as it is pretty much a risk-free option. If you are on the fence about wheather they will fit your needs, buy them and resell for at least what you have in them if they do not. Most you have invested is time. If they are not in decent shape or they are asking close to the top of the market, that is a different story.