PDA

View Full Version : Unisaw

David Milstone
07-12-2009, 11:31 AM
I see unifence bodies w/o rails on ebay for under $50 w/free shipping. Part #400-06-312-0005. This seems like a good deal if the rails can be fabricated. Is this realistic to consider doing?

Thanks.

Dave

Dave Cav
07-12-2009, 4:03 PM
I wonder where he got all the Unifence bodies?

It looks like it is also missing all of the hardware, including the locking handle and toggle that goes in the guide rail, the cursor and about everything else. You would have to improvise both a guide rail to go on the front of the saw, and the rip fence rail, plus all of the odds and ends of hardware. You could probably find some sort of aluminum extrusion that would work for rails, but it would be a lot of trouble and when you were finished you would have a jury-rigged Unifence. Personally I hate Unifences. I took the one off the saw at school and installed a Bies. The fact that everyone has copied the T square style fence and no one has copied the Unifence says lot.

(That being said, I did take the old Unifence, cut it down, and install it on the 20" Delta BS at school. The old fence on the BS was from an old contractor table saw that had been cobbled onto the bandsaw, and it was truly horrible. Even the Uni was an improvement. )

David Milstone
07-12-2009, 4:56 PM
Thanks. That explains it why it is not reasonable unless you need to replace that specific part.

Dave

Charles Lent
07-12-2009, 8:40 PM
Peachtree in Atlanta,GA sells an improved aluminum fence extrusion for the Delta Unifence, but I haven't seen a source for the front rail other than from Delta. The front rail is bacically a very large T slot extrusion with the slot facing away from the saw. I have a Unisaw with a Unifence and bought the new fence from Peachtree for it. I'm very happy with the improvement, but keep the old fence extrusion handy for it's low fence position capability. The Peachtree version is a square shape with T slots on the top and face (something not available on the Unifence extrusion). The bottom of the face side is UHMW.

Charley