PDA

View Full Version : new piece.

randall rosenthal
07-12-2009, 9:58 AM
i guess its more about painting than carving.....but i did have to carve the piece first.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/randallro/comix.jpg

Thomas Knapp
07-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Awesome Randall! Is that life size and how much time do you have in it?
Tom

Barry Richardson
07-12-2009, 11:16 AM
If that's for real, it's amazing.

randall rosenthal
07-12-2009, 12:01 PM
thanks...its life size the comics are 10 X 7. i think its a little too squat and the next one i'm going to make the box higher and the comics spilling out....archie and veronica?

Kevin Adams
07-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Hi Randall--

I've been waiting for a new piece from you for a while and you did not disapoint--looks awesome! Your painting detail is incredible. Is this one a commission or for an upcoming show? Did you sell your last baseball card piece?

And yes, Archie and Veronica would get my vote, too.

Take care,
Kevin

curtis rosche
07-12-2009, 5:05 PM
the work you do is amazing. i think you need to either include a picture of the before painting, or leave one corner of your work unfinished. your work is so amazing that when i show people some of the amazing things you do they dont beleive that it is really wood.

randall rosenthal
07-12-2009, 6:55 PM
i have some process shots on my web site.(not this piece but the cardbox and cutting board) this goes into the show next week. the baseball cards also. i am very honored to be in this show as the other fellow ,william king, is one of my heros.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n186/randallro/KingRosen_evite.jpg

curtis rosche
07-12-2009, 7:02 PM
you should do one that shows the progression into the finished peice. like one side of the block of wood is still a block and the other side is completley finished, with the step inbetween

randall rosenthal
07-12-2009, 8:37 PM
curtis...i thought about it but its too obvious. thats why i have the process shots on the web site. right now i am getting more static about the painting. some people seem to think its a transfer of some sort and not hand painted....even though in real life you can see the brush strokes.

when i did large architectural work i would occasionally have the sculpture emerge from the block of wood.

Vic Castello
07-13-2009, 8:35 AM
It's kind of upsetting to hear that some people actually doubt that the work is yours! You are a proven guy, and a person of integrity. Pay them no mind!

I enjoy taking "work in progress" pictures of my own work, and seeing those of others...not because I want to prove anything, or because I want proof that a person did what he/she said they did. But, I love seeing a plain ol' block of wood being transformed into a piece of art, and a lot can be learned from viewing such photos. One can appreciate it more when they see the amount of time and effort that went into it.

But, I would like to see close up pictures of those brush marks! (only kidding....only kidding!!!)

Clara Koss
07-13-2009, 11:01 AM
are you kidding me???? that's:p for real???? holy moly...

Doug Duffield
07-13-2009, 2:53 PM
curtis...i thought about it but its too obvious. thats why i have the process shots on the web site. right now i am getting more static about the painting. some people seem to think its a transfer of some sort and not hand painted....even though in real life you can see the brush strokes. ....

'Some folks' would argue that the green beans they are eating were not grown by a farmer - they just appear in the store in a can - you know, manufactured that way.

I am in awe at your carving abilities, not to mention your creativity and artistic talents. I feel really intimidated posting my amateuristic carvings, but I will anyway! Thanks for showing us your talent and giving me something to shoot for down the road.

Doug

randall rosenthal
07-13-2009, 3:07 PM
doug...i am a life long surfer....im just about average, miles from being a pro. but i really have fun. its the same with carving. if you are enjoying it and get that rush of accomplishment thats really all that counts. there are lots worse ways to spend your time.

curtis rosche
07-13-2009, 8:38 PM
amazing work though. i have liked all of your works on your site so far

Joe Caligiuri
07-31-2009, 4:26 PM
Just found this site and joined. I can't believe what you do. Just showed it to my wife and son. They didn't believe it either until I showed them the series of photos showing the work being created. We will be visiting the Pamela Williams Gallery in August to see your work on display. Could it possibly look as realistic in person? I am truly amazed at your skills!

Brett Baldwin
08-01-2009, 11:48 AM
curtis...i thought about it but its too obvious. thats why i have the process shots on the web site. right now i am getting more static about the painting. some people seem to think its a transfer of some sort and not hand painted....even though in real life you can see the brush strokes.

Randall, inspiring work, again. If some people don't want to recognize talent well beyond theirs it's their problem and loss.
I really like the subject matter in this one as I enjoyed many a comic book in my time. I really enjoy that your subjects take us back to our early years. That Action Comics #1 is a great choice and really well done. Though it's long before my early years, I recognize it easily. I hope the showing goes well. I can't wait to see what you create next.

randall rosenthal
08-01-2009, 8:56 PM
joe...email me when you are in amagansett and if i can ill be glad to meet you at the gallery.

curtis, brett...thanks...i really appreciate the kind words.