PDA

View Full Version : using shop vac with a table saw

Jerry Evans
07-12-2009, 4:40 AM
I have a shop vac (cant afford dc at this time) and the filter gets clogged right away since I am cutting mdf...is there a way to help this vac out a little and keep me from continually hitting the filter to dislodge all the dust...thank you

Ed Sallee
07-12-2009, 5:56 AM
You could get yourself a clear-vue mini cyclone...... They are designed to work with shop vacs and not all that expensive.

Just browse for clear vue and you should be able to find the link...

james gerus
07-12-2009, 7:24 AM
Hello,the mini dust collection separator is placed atop a 5 gallon pail and goes between the shop vac and table saw available at most woodworking stores( Rockler#90343) about $30 . Oneida Dust Deputy works very well but costs much more. Hope this helps. Jim

Jason Roehl
07-12-2009, 7:36 AM
You could always use disposable bags. Another option is a better filter for the shopvac. Some of the HEPA ones have a very slick coating on the filter media so the dust doesn't stick.

Jason White
07-12-2009, 7:45 AM
Try one of those "dust deputy" thingys. Also, Rockler and Harbor Freight sell plastic "separator" lids that you put on top of a 5-gallon bucket. It's supposed to catch most of the bigger dust particles before they make it to your vac filter.

Jason

I have a shop vac (cant afford dc at this time) and the filter gets clogged right away since I am cutting mdf...is there a way to help this vac out a little and keep me from continually hitting the filter to dislodge all the dust...thank you

Gene Howe
07-12-2009, 7:48 AM
Slip one leg of a panty hose over the filter. Then you only have to remove and shake the panty hose.

Joe Scharle
07-12-2009, 7:53 AM
You can stretch an old, thin bed sheet across the can. Then insert the vac head and clamp. Every now and then, tap the side of the canister.

Vince Shriver
07-12-2009, 9:20 AM
Slip one leg of a panty hose over the filter. Then you only have to remove and shake the panty hose.

I find tequilla useful in removing panty hose.

Tom Adger
07-12-2009, 9:23 AM
As Ed suggested, go to www.clearvuecyclones.com (http://www.clearvuecyclones.com). I had the same problem with shopvac filter clogging up in a short time. I have had my clearvue mini cv about 9 months, and I love it. Rarely have to clean my filter. Several things: Use a strong shopvac. I have a Craftsman 20 gal, and it is a lot of power. I also had problems with a 5 gal plastic bucket collapsing, so I went to a local chemical supply warehouse and bought a hard plastic thickwalled drum for $5. I have attached some photos.

Bill Huber
07-12-2009, 11:19 AM
I am sure that many will really disagree with what I did but it has worked for me very well.

I got a ClearVue mini which I am not sure they sell anymore. Oneida sells a Dust Deputy that is about the same, it is not quite as good for the fine dust but it does work well, I have one on the router table.

The can lids do not work near as well for the dust as the cyclones do. They will get the larger chips but do not get the dust near as well.

I put the mini on my shop vac and removed the filter, cut a hole in the back wall of the shop and exhausted it out the back. The cage that holds the filter was wrapped with 2 wraps of fiberglass screen wire. This is in case I over feed or let the bucket on the cyclone get over filled.

The exhaust from the vac is covered with a cover I made that is somewhat like a dryer vent for you house.

I got a clear plastic pipe kit form Shop Vac (http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393) that has small blast gates and fittings for installing in the shop. I have a gate on the TS, Sander and one for just general clean up. I use about a 20 foot hose to do the general clean up with and also have adapters for use with the hand sanders and the like.

This set up has done very well, it is not as good as a big dust collector would be but I have a space problem and this is what I had the space for. I have been using this set up for 2 years, I took the shop vac apart about to months ago to see if there was any problems with it and I found no problems at all.

In this image you can see the clear pipe and blast gates that I have running in the shop. The Mini Cyclone sets just behind the drill press.

122752 122753

Fred Hargis
07-12-2009, 12:05 PM
I saw a pic where somewhere built a Thien separator for a 5 gallon bucket, and reported it worked quite well. It would be quite a bit cheaper than buying anything...assuming you have a 5 gallon bucket. You could also use bags...but that's less convenient.

Jason White
07-12-2009, 2:25 PM
I don't see any dust in your shop, so it must work pretty damned well!!

Jason

I am sure that many will really disagree with what I did but it has worked for me very well.

I got a ClearVue mini which I am not sure they sell anymore. Oneida sells a Dust Deputy that is about the same, it is not quite as good for the fine dust but it does work well, I have one on the router table.

The can lids do not work near as well for the dust as the cyclones do. They will get the larger chips but do not get the dust near as well.

I put the mini on my shop vac and removed the filter, cut a hole in the back wall of the shop and exhausted it out the back. The cage that holds the filter was wrapped with 2 wraps of fiberglass screen wire. This is in case I over feed or let the bucket on the cyclone get over filled.

The exhaust from the vac is covered with a cover I made that is somewhat like a dryer vent for you house.

I got a clear plastic pipe kit form Shop Vac (http://www.shopvac.com/detail.asp?id=393) that has small blast gates and fittings for installing in the shop. I have a gate on the TS, Sander and one for just general clean up. I use about a 20 foot hose to do the general clean up with and also have adapters for use with the hand sanders and the like.

This set up has done very well, it is not as good as a big dust collector would be but I have a space problem and this is what I had the space for. I have been using this set up for 2 years, I took the shop vac apart about to months ago to see if there was any problems with it and I found no problems at all.

In this image you can see the clear pipe and blast gates that I have running in the shop. The Mini Cyclone sets just behind the drill press.

122752 122753

Phil Thien
07-12-2009, 5:55 PM
I saw a pic where somewhere built a Thien separator for a 5 gallon bucket, and reported it worked quite well. It would be quite a bit cheaper than buying anything...assuming you have a 5 gallon bucket. You could also use bags...but that's less convenient.

I started w/ just a shop vac. The filter clogged quickly.

I added bags, which kept the filter clean. But the bags were a pain, and expensive.

So I designed my separator. Now barely anything gets to the bags, the filter stays clean, and the separator is easy to empty.

Building one of my separators is akin to teaching a man to fish.

Jerry Evans
07-12-2009, 6:11 PM
thanks guys for all the input ....I have a lot of ideas to try thats for sure...would like to also try to make my own seperator if there are pics or plans for such or is the rockler one basically the same ...thanks

Bruce Wrenn
07-12-2009, 10:36 PM
Google "Phil Thein", and also do a search here for Phil. He's the MAN! I built a larger version for my DC system to use with my jointers and planers. When googling Phil, look at my post "Another Vote for Phil Thein's Baffle" at NC Woodworker. You can see how effective his baffle is.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Try a cleanstream (I think) filter. The washable ones. They last a long time, and when they get clogged, gently rinse them off. I tried the hepas, and they work well, but they clog, and are a pain to thump until they're clean again. They're pricey, but I bought one, and haven't had to replace it yet. You don't have to beat them to get ehm clean, so I think that's why it lasts longer.

I would avoid the bags, and the tequila to get a panty hose.....

Prashun Patel
07-13-2009, 9:15 AM
Don't use the Rockler or that-style separator for a trashcan lid. Plenty of reports that they are ineffective.

First, if yr gonna use a shopvac for dc, then I'd attach it to the top of the saw, through the blade guard, and I'd put a bag on the bottom of the saw. I found that shopvacs work best on my table saw when the hose is as close to the blade as possible.

The only 3 separators that are worth it: Clearvue Mini, Dust Deputy, and Thien separator. The Thien is a diy solution, but after materials and time, the commercial units aren't really that expensive. There was a recent review on this site of the 'Deputy vs the Mini and they came out about even. You can't go wrong with either of these.

Gary Muto
07-13-2009, 2:11 PM
I find tequilla useful in removing panty hose.

That's agood one. It gave me a good laugh.