PDA

View Full Version : EZPass in NY, MA, PA and ME?

Matt Meiser
07-11-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm thinking of getting an EZPass from a retail location in NY when I go on vacation. I'll be towing a trailer in NY, MA, PA, and ME. It sounds like it works fine, and that in most states I will need to use a lane with an attendant but in ME I can use the automated lanes even with a trailer? I'll have a laptop and can activate it from a WiFi location as soon as we get the tag. I'm wondering if it will work in MA the same day? And ME within 2 (weekend) days?

Since IL and IN are EZPass states and OH will be by the end of the year, we're thinking that its worthwhile to go ahead and get a pass.

Anyone have experience with this that can give me any pointers?

Tim Wagner
07-12-2009, 3:15 AM
well i can tell you that if you use the pike alot, and you plan on being in IL alot, then get it. it seems in IL they stop you every 3-5 miles to collect 0.50 cents. why they can't let you get on and charge you when you get off i'll never know, but Nooo they got to stop you every freakin 5 miles to collect money. I hate travling the pike in IL.

Jim Becker
07-12-2009, 8:39 AM
I've been an EZPass user for years and love it. More and more highways are installing "higher speed" EZPass lanes, too. But I don't know the rules if you are towing.

Scott Shepherd
07-12-2009, 8:55 AM
Not sure about those states, but in VA, it does not calculate for the trailer and you can end up with a ticket. A friend of mine had been pulling a trailer through it for about a year now and they finally got in touch with him and told him to stop doing it. They said the equipment had the ability to do it, but they did not use that part of it.

They solution was that he could continue using the lane with the trailer, but they would be changing the amount deducted to include the trailer. He said "but what if I'm not pulling the trailer" and they said "You'll still be charged as if you were". So he had a choice, pay for a trailer all the time, or use the booths.

Not sure how they handle it in other states.

Matt Meiser
07-12-2009, 9:35 AM
My brother an his wife have one JUST because of Chicago. But we go to Indiana fairly regularly, IL occasionally, and once Ohio implements it we'll use it several times a year. Heck, there's been twice recently when I had to drive cross town in Toledo where using the turnpike would have made sense, but I didn't have cash so I just took city streets.

ME says their equipment detects the trailer automagically.
MA and NY say to use the manual lanes, but you can still use EZPass to pay.
I didn't check PA yet. We'll only use it briefly in PA.

OH says it will go live in 4Q09.

I think my biggest concern is whether we can pick it up in NY in the morning, and use it in MA in afternoon. NY has a number of retailers that carry them in their stores. I found 3 locations in Dunkirk, NY, right across the line from PA.

Don Abele
07-12-2009, 9:49 AM
Matt, when I was stationed in MA I bought the EZ-Pass for my 68 mile (each way) trip to work. Most of that was on the pike and the pass really saved me a considerable amount of time. I also got a discount for using it was well, so it also saved me money as well.

In MA I registered my trailer with them as well and was told I could use the EZ-Pass lanes while pulling my trailer and it would detect the trailer and charge accordingly.

I've used it from Maine to Virginia and have had no problems what so ever, including while pulling my trailer.

As for activating, I picked mine up at the rest stop on the pike where they have a state office. Paid for it and went and stuck it in the window. It was already active when I hit the toll about 10 minutes later.

Once I get my family down here with me, I'm not sure I'll keep it though. Thankfully there are no tolls on the pike and very little elsewhere.

Be well,

Doc

Bob Lloyd
07-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Matt

I live in MA but have a NH based EZ pass because I have a business in NH; using their tolls the most and pay less with their pass. It works fine in MA, NH and ME but I am never towing a trailer just in the van or the car.

Bob

Jim Mackell
07-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I've pulled my filth wheel camper through ME, NH, MA, CT, PA, NY and MD with no problems for 3 years. EZPass counts the axles and charges appropriately. Have not caught them making a mistake yet.

Mike Cutler
07-12-2009, 2:42 PM
I've pulled my filth wheel camper through ME, NH, MA, CT, PA, NY and MD with no problems for 3 years. EZPass counts the axles and charges appropriately. Have not caught them making a mistake yet.

Jim

In addition to Matt,thank you for that info. I never realized it could count axles. On occasion when we may need to pull a horse trailer that's good to know. The less stopping and starting, the easier it is on the horse.

Jim Becker
07-12-2009, 8:26 PM
Matt, here's the site for PA: https://www.ezpass.csc.paturnpike.com/EntryPages/Main.aspx

BTW, I ordered ours online, not from a retail store.

Tom Godley
07-12-2009, 9:32 PM
You can order them online -- some will mail them to you.

In NJ -- the DRPA -- charges $1 per month and another $1 if you want to get the statement each month - even if you get it online!

Some do not have the fee.

I would not worry about it working on the first day -- as long as you have an account all you would have to due is send back the violation with your account number on it.

Robert Boyd
07-12-2009, 10:00 PM
The main thing to remember is how you intend to refill it. I actually like the I-pass because it is easier to refill it online. However if you use the I-pass in the east it will take a day or two to register on your account. If you buy one in NY you can only refill at select locations.

Rob

Don Abele
07-12-2009, 10:55 PM
My EZ-Pass in Massachusetts has a high-low limit that I established and it charges my credit card automatically when it hits the low and refills the account to the high. Never had a problem with it.

My statements are all online (as are most of my bills nowadays - I've gone as paperless as I can).

Be well,

Doc

Pat Germain
07-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Shoot, do what lots of people in California are doing. Just remove your license plates! You can blow through toll plazas and red lights, drive like a maniac, or even do the hit-and-run thing. And in the very unlikely event you get pulled over for having no plates, the fine will be minimal. ;)

Peter Stahl
07-13-2009, 6:14 AM
Matt,

Some EZ Pass locations like the Delaware River & Bay Authority have special rates for the locals you won't get with any other EZ Pass you use. I only pay a dollar per crossing verses 3 dollars if I didn't have the DRBA EZ Pass. I just have to make 20 trips every 3 months. Check the EZ Pass provider for the roads you use the most, may be worth it to get one from them.

Kevin Arceneaux
07-13-2009, 7:00 AM
It is coming to LA, but we call ours Geauxpass.

http://www.geauxpass.com/

I have to get one so I can get to work. Only one way to get to Fourchon.

Orion Henderson
07-13-2009, 9:21 AM
They said the equipment had the ability to do it, but they did not use that part of it.

Classic! I have windshield wipers on my car, but I don't use them. Just because.

Lee Schierer
07-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Matt, we've had an EZ pass for years. We use on pass for three different cars and also tow a boat with one of those cars. They seem to figure it out as the charges are always right even when towing the boat. Just make sure you register all the plates with EZ pass. In New York you can use any lane with or with out an attendant, but generally the EZ pass lanes are faster and they have some drive through lanes where you only slow to 40 mph or so.

Walter Plummer
07-13-2009, 5:14 PM
We have never pulled a trailer yet but I would not travel without it. I think New Jersey and Maine you have to use the marked lanes, everywhere else they work any lane. My wife (from Maine) and I have been traveling up and down for 35 Yrs. In the old days we took 10 ones and a roll of quarters and brought money back. Now the trip is $55.00-$56.00.

Greg Cuetara
07-13-2009, 10:46 PM
I drive the turnpike in Maine every day. You can use any lane with or without a trailer...just don't stop in the manned lanes with the ezpass. I don't really understand the states where you can only use the pass in lanes which are marked.

A word of caution pulling a trailer. Try to get an idea of how much you will be paying at each of the tolls and write it down then compare it to your statement. I have had problems here in Maine pulling a trailer and not pulling a trailer. I was overcharged one period by quite a bit because they thought I had been pulling a trailer and then a few other times I was pulling a trailer and wasn't charged for it. I think if the cars behind you get too close it thinks it is a trailer attached to your vehicle.

Overall well worth the time savings to have an ez-pass and much easier than coughing up the cash at each toll. I know in order to get the Maine discount on the turnpike the pass needs to be registered to a Maine address.

Good luck,
Greg

John Shuk
07-14-2009, 5:47 PM
I use a commercial vehicle with a trailer and we have a special ezpass for when we are towing. Ask the person on the phone what you need to do.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-15-2009, 3:39 PM
When ever I take a road trip I curse myself for not having it.

Jim Becker
07-16-2009, 8:34 PM
When ever I take a road trip I curse myself for not having it.

So get one...order online. Fast and easy. And you never need to keep change in your pocket. :)