PDA

View Full Version : Question about router and router bit

Louis Brandt
07-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Hello,

I have a Bosch 1617EVSPK, 2 1/4 HP router, and I have a pretty nice router table. I’ve been doing woodworking around the house for a while, but I’m just getting started using a router. I’d like to build a cabinet (sort of a kitchen cupboard), with a door, and I’d like to use a rail and stile bit to create the parts of the door. I’d like to use 3/4 inch thick stock for the door.

My question is, will my Bosch 2 1/4 HP router be up to this job? I’ve seen a lot of posts saying that for raised panel bits, you need at least a 3 HP router, but how about for rail and stile bits? Can I get by with 2 1/4 HP?

Thanks,
Louis

Myk Rian
07-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Can I get by with 2 1/4 HP?

Yes. That is enough hp for the job with that bit.
2 1/4 hp will even turn the large panel bits, but you need to take small cuts and turn the speed way down.

Fred Belknap
07-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Louis I have the same router mounted in my router table. I just finished making 23 doors for my kitchen. I used Freud rail and stile bits and their panel raiser bit and I did a very good job. I made several passes on the raised panels but the rails and stiles could be done with one pass. I made them out of cherry and had a few chip out but mostly they worked fine.

Bill Houghton
07-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Raised panel bits come in two flavors, one that you use when holding the board flat on the table, the other when it's vertical. The vertical bits are said to be less intimidating (being smaller diameter) and may take less horsepower.

Bill Huber
07-12-2009, 12:06 AM
That router will work just fine.

Here is a post I made with that same router amd tje sa,e subject.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=106803

scott spencer
07-12-2009, 8:02 AM
Louis - Your Bosch should do fine. 3hp has an easier time of it, but a good 2hp will do the job too. If you've got a bunch to do, or will be doing a lot of them in the future, a good 3hp unit is probably the way to go.