PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox W1706 or Grizzly G0555X

Jesse Schauer
07-11-2009, 7:55 PM
I've been stalking Craigslist for while now in search of a decent band saw with little success. I've come to the point where I'm ready to buy something new. I would get the Grizzly G0513X but I currently rent and have no reasonable way to power it (two circuits in the garage, both 110/20A).

For now, I've narrowed it down to either the Shop Fox W1706 or the Grizzly G0555X. From what I can tell, they are pretty similar with the Grizzly being slightly better (extra 1/2 HP motor, resaw fence, etc). I can get the Shop Fox locally for about $100 less (counting in tax and the lack of shipping).

This will be my first band saw and will probably do a combination of curves and resaw. I will most likely be adding a riser block. I've been leaning towards the Grizzly but am leery about dealing with the shipping. Is the G0555X worth the extra cost and hassle?

Paul Ryan
07-12-2009, 12:21 AM
I sounds to me you are basically deciding between the grizzly 0555x and the 0555 (shop fox version). I went throught the same decision about a year ago. I decided to go with the less of the too due to well about $100. In the end I am happy with the 0555 it will resaw great as long as you take your time and use a good blade. I have resawed 10" red oak and it did jus fine but I just had to be patient. If I was resaring a lot I would have go a 17" saw. But for what I do this band saw is all I will ever need. It cuts curves great, will resaw, is light, and easy to change blades. The only advantage I could see with the 0555X was the cast iron wheels, extra 1/2 hp motor, and resaw fence. Well you can make your own resaw fence for about $5 with a piece of melamine shelving from the Borg. I am sure the other help out when resawing but the 0555 works great with good blades.

ken gibbs
07-12-2009, 7:58 AM
The Grizzly 0555 received a "Top Tool" recommendation for its function as a resaw. It was the best of the 14" bandsaws tested.

Guy Belleman
07-12-2009, 8:30 AM
I have had mine wired for 2 years on 110V. Just had 220V circuits put in and have it on my list of chores to rewire the motor for 220V.

Go with the bigger saw and never look back. The G0513 is one fine saw and does everything I want it to do. It is easy to adjust the tracking and the guides. The tension indicator window and tracking window are items that I will never be without again.

Fiddled with a 9" inch bandsaw and got rid of it. More happy with a 15" bandsaw I had, but this 17" saw will see me to my grave.

Good luck on your decision.