PDA

View Full Version : Waldmann Workbench

Ed Popiel
07-11-2009, 7:42 PM
Hi all,

I'm 2 days away from finding out if I get a variance to build my new workshop. And, as always, keep my eye on Craiglslist. The following workbench was just listed and I called the guy. He will go lower and I will be the first one to look at it tomorrow.

Is it a good workbench and how much would you pay? I found similar ones on Amazon, but they are no longer available. This bench has a tool caddy in the back, 2 vises and a drawer - it looks nice, but what is it worth?

Moderators - Hope I posted in the right forum - if not, please move as u see fit.

Thanks,
Ed

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1258465088.html

John Jendro
07-11-2009, 8:05 PM
This site will give you an idea of what they were going for when Amazon was selling them. Not sure which model is the one you are looking at.

John

http://www.workbenchdesign.net/rreadymade.html

Ed Popiel
07-11-2009, 8:20 PM
Yeah I saw that sight also, just wondering if anyone has any experience with these benches - and

The one for sale doesn't match any of the ones previously listed on Amazon.

Prashun Patel
07-11-2009, 9:39 PM
What size is it?
Personally, I'd just build one. It'd make a great 1st project for yr new shop. You'd be able to make one at least that big with twice as beefy legs for less than that - even in maple. Just my 2cents. As far as value goes, if the two vises are good quality, then the $500 is not expensive.

Mike Cruz
07-11-2009, 9:40 PM
Hard to tell, but Sjoberg has one like it for $1700. Grizzly has one for $325...with drawers. I don't know where Waldmann sits in comparison, but since the seller says "new", either it is closer to Grizzly, or it may be a great price already. I would probably drop a hint what a new Grizzly would cost and see if he will match it. I also just did some searching and couldn't find anything else on that table, sorry.

Greg Hines, MD
07-11-2009, 10:56 PM
If the vises are new, you would probably pay $200 for each one. I would think that the price is not a bad one. Though, from the photos, it is hard to tell if it is a magnum sized or something smaller.

Doc

mike holden
07-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Ed,
Waldmann benches were used at a ww school I attended, Willowtree Academy. They seemed to hold up to the student use and abuse.
If the price is reasonable, I see no reason to shy away from them.

Personally, I have a sjoberg and will replace that with a home built when I get a round tuit (grin).
Mike

Mike Cruz
07-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Hey, if you find any of those round tuits, let me know where you got it. I've been looking for them everywhere...Ebay, CL, Amazon...everywhere. I would pay FULL price for a couple. Heck, I would even pick up a couple extras, 'cause you never know when you're gonna need one. Handy little buggers...

george wilson
07-12-2009, 1:49 PM
The Waldmann is BEECH,not maple. See those little flecks in the wood? That's beech. How big is the bench? It looks small to me,maybe 48"? that affects the price.

Never buy a Grizzly bench. They were tested in a FWW article,with several others. Their tops bend over convex when you tighten up a piece of wood between their dogs. They are made up of short pieces of wood,and are not strong.

Tom Cross
07-12-2009, 4:44 PM
I recently built a 24" x 96" Holtzapffel bench out of hard maple. The two vises (Lee Valley 24" twin screw and 7" quick release) and hardware were about $500. The hard maple was $500. Total was about $1000. So if the bench has two decent vises and is made of beech, it is a good value at $500 even if it is smaller. If you do decide to build your own, get Chris Schwartz's Workbench book and look at all his blogs on the Woodworking Magazine web site. There is a wealth of information there.

Ed Popiel
07-12-2009, 5:47 PM
Hi all,

First of all, thanks for all the responses - I got the bench - basically brand new, made in Czech Republic, 28" wide, 59" long and 34" high - it's a beauty and the price was $350!

Also picked up a still in the box Delta 50-868 air cleaner with remote for $100!

And last but not least, a set of squares from Woodsmith - 25 yr anniversary edition - for $20!

See pix - awesome day!!!

BTW, this guy also has a delta platinum edition shaper HD 3 hp 1 ph NIB and a delta UNISAW with all tables - still not sold - in Goshen, Ohio

Mike Cruz
07-12-2009, 9:41 PM
Sweet sweep up! Enjoy.

Oh, and thanks for the info on the Grizzly benches. I wouldn't have been in the market, but good to know. Also, I was merely using Grizzly as a price marker for Ed. Looks like he got a deal on it...and the rest of the stuff.