PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector Up and Running!

Gary Lange
07-11-2009, 4:18 PM
I finally completed the installation of the Grizzly G0548Z 2hp Dust Collector. It was quit a chore. I ran all the ducts as you saw before and I now have the Twin Trashcan Cyclone Separator. Everything seems to be working like a charm and I am very happy with the outcome.
Dust Collector next to Twin Trashcan Separator
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/NewDustCollector-1.jpg
New Dust Collector!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/NewDustCollector-2.jpg
Inlet Ports with Blast gates for Router and Radial Arm Saw!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/InletportswithselfcleanBlastgates-1.jpg
Twin Trash Can Separator!
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/TwinTrashcanCyclonSeparator-1.jpg

Prashun Patel
07-11-2009, 5:12 PM
Nice looking set up.

Ok, I gotta ask: Is that an AAV on your ejector pump? Is that code where you are?!

Matt Walton
07-11-2009, 6:10 PM
pardon my ignorance, but why do you use two trash cans?

Gary Lange
07-11-2009, 6:38 PM
Your ignorance is pardoned and I am using 6" SDR35 in it and it took up a lot of room in the single trash can so I elected to cut the bottom out of the top one and add the lower one to catch the dust.

Shawn I don't suppose it is code here but it was making a lot of noise so I tried this one to see how it would do. Doesn't make much difference so when I get a chance I am changing it back to the other one. Keeps me busy and keeps you guys on your toes. My Mother-in-law didn't like the noise of it shutting off with a big bang. Didn't bother me at all but then again I sleep at the other end of the house. It took some getting used to. I think they got the pipes to close to the floor joists.

Prashun Patel
07-11-2009, 6:50 PM
(Sorry to take this off topic): I wasn't talking about the check valve. I was talking about the vent. Looks like it's just capped with a instead of going out thru the bldg...

Gary Lange
07-11-2009, 6:55 PM
Beats me Shawn that is the way mine my brothers and the neighbors were done and it passed inspection.

Jim Dunn
07-14-2009, 8:52 AM
Storm water drains are not normally vented.

Nice looking dust collection system Gary.

Mr. Jeff Smith
07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Am I the only one not seeing any pictures?:confused:

Greg Muller
07-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Nice!

Let's see. About $400 for the Grizzly and about $500 in PVC and fittings, right?

Unless you have a 'guy'.

David Hostetler
07-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I am a bit confused here. Why the 6" pipe until the tool drops, then neck down to 4"? Is there an advantage I don't know about doing that?

Myk Rian
07-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I am a bit confused here. Why the 6" pipe until the tool drops, then neck down to 4"? Is there an advantage I don't know about doing that?
It's all about air flow. Using 6" and then branch to 4" is the correct way to do it.

Alan Bienlein
07-15-2009, 8:58 PM
It's all about air flow. Using 6" and then branch to 4" is the correct way to do it.

your definitely right about the air flow. Thats why when I set up my cyclone all off my equipment was converted to 6" pickups. The difference is night and day.

johnny means
07-15-2009, 9:27 PM
How far do each of the tubes reach into the separator? Is there any baffle inside?

Jerome Hanby
07-16-2009, 9:38 AM
Am I the only one not seeing any pictures?:confused:

If you look at the page source, you can see his pictures are actually links to photobucket. Your network is probably blocking that site, I know my network at work does. Images actually uploaded to the creek view for me just fine.

David Hostetler
07-16-2009, 10:16 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/Trackerman/Woodworking%20Shop/InletportswithselfcleanBlastgates-1.jpg

Okay so I get the airflow thing with 6" pipe, but don't you need a 6" inlet to allow for that airflow? Or at least 6" through the blast gate and then reduce down?

It just seems like your restriction is going to be your inlet, or would that end up with some sort of venturi effect?

Salem Ganzhorn
07-16-2009, 12:42 PM
One thing confuses me about your trashcan picture. I thought in a Thien separator the center hole is the outlet and the side hole is the inlet. Is yours the other way around?
Thanks!

Alan Zenreich
07-16-2009, 1:56 PM
In a Thien separator,

The edge port is the input port and connects to the thing screating the dust (jointer, planer, etc.)
The center port is the exit port to the dust collector's input port.

Gary Lange
07-22-2009, 3:45 PM
One thing confuses me about your trashcan picture. I thought in a Thien separator the center hole is the outlet and the side hole is the inlet. Is yours the other way around?
Thanks!

No my friend it is just as you stated above. The Center is the Outlet and connects to the Dust Collector. The Side Port is the Inlet and connects to the Dust System network and draws the dust into the trashcan.

Gary Lange
07-22-2009, 3:50 PM
David, If I had a Big Shop and could spare the space perhaps the 6" to all the equipment. I have a small shop and don't really want to be stepping over 6" tubes. This works just fine the way it is.

David Hostetler
07-22-2009, 4:59 PM
No problem. I am just trying to understand all of this dust collection hoo ha as it were. I see a lot of different stuff done and wonder what advantage there is to doing X, Y, or Z...

Justin McCarthy
07-23-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey Gary,
Looks good! I've got that DC and it rocks. One suggestion is that you've got your 6" flex hose doing a rather abrupt 180 degree turn as it connects to the collector. It's my understanding (the more knowledgeable guys and gals here can correct me if I'm wrong) is that sharp turns kill air flow. The fix would be as simple (and it looks as if you have room for it) as to pull out the flex hose a bit and make the bend a bit wider in radius.