PDA

View Full Version : Moving Laser

Anthony Scira
07-11-2009, 3:59 PM
Hey guys were moving from our LAX residence to BEAUTIFUL Temecula CA. So its not a long trip, but moving my laser is prolly going to be the most nerve racking part of the move.

I don't have the packing materials that came with the laser so that is not an option.

So what tips can you guys throw my way ?

Thanks in advance guys !

Doug Griffith
07-11-2009, 4:30 PM
Cushion it from vibration by placing on packing blankets, foam or the like all the way around including beneath. Then strap it down like you expect to get in an accident.

Then take the 405 to the 76. It's a little longer but a far nicer ride down the coast than taking the 15. Freeway is probably less bumpy too.

Dee Gallo
07-11-2009, 5:03 PM
Here's a picture of my laser when it arrived, maybe it can help you see what they did at Epilog to safeguard it. The head was tied to the corner of the rail so it could not move (see top right corner).

Hope this helps a bit, dee

william kaminsky
07-11-2009, 5:11 PM
Anthony...

Did they tell you that Temecula is about 20 degrees warmer than the shore areas? I am north of Rancho California, up I-215 by the county line, and know already we have to do all cutting before noon in summer otherwise the light begins to poop out. The amplifyer will not take the heat. The room is now air conditioned and do not have to get up early each production morning to begin cutting. During spring and winter it is go, go, go. Not so in the summer.

You have a Epilogue fellow living north of you at M.V. now.

Wm.

Rodne Gold
07-12-2009, 12:58 AM
Your biggest problem is most likely going to be that due to knocks and bumps in transport/transit , your laser is going to go out of alignment.
I would follow others advice , tie down all loose stuff , pad it , strap it down , double crate if possible and remove all mirrors , lenses etc etc.
Be prepared for a re alignment when setting up.

Anthony Scira
07-12-2009, 2:00 AM
Well I think I have some nice rubber foam I can set the casters on for some extra vibration protection.

As far as the heat goes I will be setting it up in a spare bedroom that is air conditioned. We have been out there about a month now. Have the LAX house just about ready to rent out and its time for the moving of the laser. And the heat has not been too bad. But I hear its hotter in August and September.

But man the schools are great out there ! (thats the real reason were moving) I mean not for me but my kids.