PDA

View Full Version : stanley no. 8o scraper

jim sauterer
07-11-2009, 3:25 PM
can someone tell me the thread size of the middle thumbscrew on a no.80 scraper.or tell me if i can buy one and where.thanks jim

Jim Koepke
07-11-2009, 4:01 PM
Jim,

Stanley used non standard threads on their hand tools. This makes it rather difficult to find replacement parts for many things.

I do not have a #80 scraper, so I can not run out and check for you.

A couple of things that are handy to have is a thread gauge and a caliper. Even a simple caliper like those made of boxwood by Stanley are good for finding bolt sizes.

Stanley used coarse threads of 20 to the inch and a fine thread of 28 to the inch. 20 to the inch is common on a 1/4 inch bolt, unfortunately, Stanley used 28 to the inch on their 1/4 inch bolts. There are also a few other thread pitches they used.

Some taps and dies are available.

Good luck,

jim

Bill Houghton
07-11-2009, 4:14 PM
which is a standard modern thread size. Hard to tell - the screw was a tight fit in my 10-32 test "hole." It's definitely 32 threads per inch, though; I just can't quite tell if it's a No. 10 or No. 12 screw. That, at any rate, was true on my newer, made in England, No. 80. Stanley has changed thread sizes/pitches relatively rarely, in my experience.

The problem you'll encounter is that fine thread thumb screws are REALLY hard to find, at least in my woodpatch - I recently shopped all over, to no avail.

Stanley still lists the thumbscrew - http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes-scrapers-spokeshaves-12-080-number80-.html. You'll pay a lot for shipping for a 75 cent part, so look around that area - http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/ - to see if there's anything else you'd like.

Larry James
07-11-2009, 7:08 PM
can someone tell me the thread size of the middle thumbscrew on a no.80 scraper.or tell me if i can buy one and where.thanks jim

Jim, I recently bought a #80 on ebay for $15.50 - I was the only bidder.

I checked the TPI, I think it is a number 27 - see picture.

Larry

Danny Burns
07-11-2009, 9:00 PM
If you have a local source for a threaded thumb-screw that is bigger in diameter, you could then re-thread the hole to match the new thumb screw size and use it instead.

Bill Houghton
07-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Step into your local hardware store and see if a machine screw in 10-32 fits.

Russ Hauser
07-12-2009, 7:29 PM
I have a #80 scraper with its original screws. The middle thumb screw shows some wear and I measured its diameter at from .172 to .166. This seems to be nether a #10 nor a #8 SAE thread. I understand Stanley used some British Imperial threads back in the day, and this might be the case here. I cannot confirm this because I don't have the specs for those threads. I have a small drawer of Stanley screws and threaded rods and none of them fit the scraper. If I had a spare screw that fit, I would send it to you. If you intend the scraper to be a user, I'd drill and tap the hole to fit a standard thumb screw.

Russ

Todd Ferrante
07-13-2009, 9:28 AM
This weekend I spent some time fixing up two #80 scrapers I have picked up at flea markets in the past year. Both have matching screws clamping and bowing the blade, but they are different on the two tools. On one, the screws are 1/4-28 threads. On the other tool, the diameter is #10, but the thread pitch is in between 32 and 24. The scraper with the 1/4" threads is complete and from the SW era. It has an original scraper blade with the heart logo. The other tool looks to be newer, and is missing the original blade. Someone replaced it with a replacement fashioned from a disston saw blade. It also has one broken clamp screw. Since these are user tools for me, I think I'll probably drill and tap the odd threads to match the 1/4-28 ones. 1/4-28 fasteners are readily available from any industrial supply house.
Todd F.

Walter Plummer
07-13-2009, 5:05 PM
Mine with the sw logo is 1/4-28. McMaster Carr Has them. mcmaster.com or 1-609-259-8900. My screw is 9/16". I think 1/2" would be fine.
Part # 90181A560. $7.10 for a bag of 10. If you are not worried about looks any 1/4-28 fastner will work. Good Luck.

jim sauterer
07-13-2009, 9:40 PM
tried 1/4 20 goes in about 1 1/2 turns.dont own a thread gage.will try local hardware store or mcmasters.thanks for the input jim.

george wilson
07-13-2009, 9:43 PM
1/4-28 is a standard 1/4" fine thread. It sounds like they may have used some other threads too,though. Sharpen a long,gradual taper on a pencil.Screw it into the hole. carefully unscrew it. The number of threads per inch will be clearly pressed into the pencil. Use some standard 1/4" bolts,compared edge to edge with the pencil,to see if any threads mate up. About the diameter,if it isn't 1/4",you'd need more advanced measuring equipment.

jim sauterer
07-14-2009, 9:18 AM
1/4 28 is the right size went to hardware store but he did not have it in a thumb screw.picked up a bolt for now when i order from mcmaster i will get the thumb screw.thanks again to all jim.

Bill Houghton
07-14-2009, 11:49 AM
tried 1/4 20 goes in about 1 1/2 turns.dont own a thread gage.will try local hardware store or mcmasters.thanks for the input jim.

For future reference, Jim, if a machine screw will thread into a hole, but it stops after 1 to 1-1/2 turns, you've probably got the right size, just the wrong thread pitch.

Glad to hear the 1/4"-28 worked out. You might see if your hardware store has a fine thread machine screw with a hex, Phillips, or (least ideal) slotted screw head, or a long fine thread setscrew. You could go a long time without needing a thumbscrew with one of these, especially if you've got an extra screwdriver of the right type stored with the scraper (you could, of course, have an extra nutdriver in 7/16", which would work with your bolt, but these are less commonly found).

harry strasil
07-14-2009, 1:47 PM
Jim, my Ace Hdwe carries thumb screws etc.