PDA

View Full Version : problems grinding radius skew

peter kolb
07-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I have no problem sharpening a conventional skew. I can not get the hang of sharpening a radius skew. I tried the Veritas skew jig and I am having trouble with that too. I'm having trouble setting up the Veritas jig in that I can get the radius right but I'm taking too big of a cut/grind. I have the Lacer shew and it is getting shorter. Any ideas/suggestions?
Thanks for your help. Peter

Ken Fitzgerald
07-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Peter,

I have 2 Lacer skews that are radiused.

I use a plain adjustable "table" that could be used for regular grinding. I set the angle of the "table" to the angle of the grind on the skew and then use my thumb and finger to pinch the skew to the "table" . The thumb and finget act as a pivot point to grind the radius.

It took me a while to get the hang of it but by the time I had sharpened both the skews I had developed the skill.

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2009, 1:45 PM
I do like Ken and just use the table of the jig. Works well and better than a wolverine or Veritas jigs.

Gordon Seto
07-11-2009, 1:54 PM
Peter,

Have you watched the skew DVD by Alan Lacer? The method that Ken described was demonstrated in it.

peter kolb
07-12-2009, 3:52 PM
Ken, Bernie & Gordon Thank you for your replies.
Ken & Bernie I will give your method a try as soon as my thumb heals.
I ran the thumb through a kitchen madoline and took a healthy chunk out
of it. I have had a shop since age 5; I'm now 72 and never had a accident in the shop.
Gordon, I have both of Lacer's tapes. Alan's fingers are between the skew
and the rest. I tried it and the results were not pretty.
Peter