PDA

View Full Version : MantaRay-3

Lionel Mercier
07-11-2009, 3:41 AM
Another work from the "silent days"
Never two threeless (I've tried translate a french sentence: Jamais deux sans trois)
I've turned a third lided box in the MantaRay leaning.
Always three wings upside and last down.
Only change is the location of the opening. Completely off side. I don't find very special, my wife yes !
Therefore, I post it...
Made from walnut tree, ebonised with "acetate de fer" (it's just steel wool dipped in vinegar). Don't look very dark to my eyes, I polish with "broux de noix"( walnut shuck harvested last year and botled in spirit ).
Just a little beter...
The wood was inhabited. I clean and paint the holes with gold paint.
The lid is a disc of bone (with the little hole for vascular and nerves, in which passes the red braid, wife made)
And, guess what is the netsuke on this braid ?
Friendly, Lionel

charlie knighton
07-11-2009, 3:48 AM
very nice, i like the off set opening espically

Steve Schlumpf
07-11-2009, 9:39 AM
Very interesting piece Lionel! Great offset design, rich color and use of different materials! Also like how you enhanced the worm holes with paint! Nice work! Looking forward to seeing what you turn next!

Bernie Weishapl
07-11-2009, 9:56 AM
Interesting and a beauty. I also like the offset. Well done.

Scott Lux
07-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Very nice. I think the translation is "Never two without a third". I really like this series you've done.

Lux

John Frigillana
07-11-2009, 1:42 PM
:confused: I'd like to try doing the wing set up. How do you go about turning the three wings down and one up? Do you cut the 3 top portions of the down wings off and vice-versa for the one wing? Can you explain details.:confused:

Lionel Mercier
07-12-2009, 2:58 AM
@Scott:
Thanks for translation. Now I know.
@Keoni:
Yes I turn two crowns of wings and delete one of the upper serie and vice versa as you say !
First time I post such work on the forum, I make a little tutorial. See
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=105969
@ all:
Thanks for comments
Since nobody's curious....surprisingly...I'll tell what is the netsuke with the Manta box
The netsuke is one of the little spikes that a ray has on his tail (it was not a manta, of course. Just a little ray of the Nordsea, but delicious fish)

Ryan Baker
07-12-2009, 4:59 PM
Nice job. I tried doing a ray bowl a few weeks ago, and my results were less than impressive I must admit. I've been meaning to practice a bit more -- i'm sure the next one will be significantly better knowing where I made my mistakes the first time.

Dan Forman
07-12-2009, 9:24 PM
An unusual and interesting piece, and very well done. Never heard of a ray-bowl before.

Dan