PDA

View Full Version : Track Saw Questions

Scot Ferraro
07-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been looking at track saws and reading a lot of info on the web and here on the Creek. While I do not work much with sheet goods, the ability to straightline hardwood is very appealing and since I have no room for a dedicated slider, it seems like a great option. The DeWalt looks like it cuts just deep enough to be able to straightline 8/4 rough stock. The Festool TS55 seems like it might be a little short, but the 75 would certainly have the capacity and then some. I know that the DeWalt is supposed to be able to be used on Festool rails and the reason why this is appealing is that I have a DW621 router that I like a lot and I am thinking that if I went Festool, I could buy the adapter and use this router on the Festool system. I am curious if anyone has done this yet? Also, I know about all the merits of the Festool system and I have read the reviews of the DeWalt here, but I am curious from any DeWalt users if they have had any issues or positives to share after using the system for several months? I know that the Festool is a system approach, but the initial cost of getting everything to be up and running adds up quickly. While the DeWalt is still expensive, I can use the vac that I have already to cut down on initial cost (although there might be some adapter to hook my Fein mini up to a Festool saw).

Appreciate hearing any thoughts/comments about these two systems and an update on DeWalt now that it has been out for awhile. I am going to AWFS next weekend and I hope to get a closer look at all of the option.

Thanks

Peter Pedisich
07-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Scot,

I have used a DeWalt 618 Router on the Festool rails with an EZ SRK (Eurekazone) and it works well, the DW618 plunge base has dust collection similar to the DW621.
I dont think the Festool guiderail adapter would work with the DW, although the MicroFence adaptor might.
Others to consider are the Makita plunge saw - some testers/users have said it seemed to have more power than the DeWalt or Festool.
And if you look at the EZ system - you could get a DW 8-1/4" circular saw - an EZ 8.25 saw user would have to tell you if it will cut 8/4 (I think it will).

Good luck, I think you'll get great results with any of the systems.

Pete

Scot Ferraro
07-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks, Pete. DeWalt actually makes an adapter for the router to be used on its version of the track, but since DeWalt can be used on Festool I would think that this adapter would also work. Good to know that the EZ would work too if I go the Festool route.

Thanks!

Scot

Jerry Mah
07-11-2009, 2:50 AM
Scot,

I have used a DeWalt 618 Router on the Festool rails with an EZ SRK (Eurekazone) and it works well, the DW618 plunge base has dust collection similar to the DW621.
I dont think the Festool guiderail adapter would work with the DW, although the MicroFence adaptor might.
Others to consider are the Makita plunge saw - some testers/users have said it seemed to have more power than the DeWalt or Festool.
And if you look at the EZ system - you could get a DW 8-1/4" circular saw - an EZ 8.25 saw user would have to tell you if it will cut 8/4 (I think it will).

Good luck, I think you'll get great results with any of the systems.

Pete

Pete,

Do you think the EZ SRK would work on the Makita rails too?

Thanks.
-Jerry

Chris Parks
07-11-2009, 6:19 AM
Try this for occasional use, I use it all the time though. Get an offcut of plywood as long as you want and nail/screw/glue a straight board to it just as long, this is your saw guide. Run the saw down the straight edge and cut off excess plywood and you have a guide. Place the cut edge on your mark as you would any rail and cut and it works just as well as any rail that costs how much??

Mike Heidrick
07-11-2009, 6:42 AM
I own the Dewalt track saw kit with 55" and 102" rail, miter angle accessory, two clamps and teh router attachment. have not used teh router attachment yet but will with a 618 router. So far it has been perfect (owned it since the Dewalt 17 contest in late 2008).In fact a buddy used it to cut uo 10 sheets of plywood this week.

EZ items look amazingly awesome.

Rich Engelhardt
07-11-2009, 7:25 AM
Hello,

Run the saw down the straight edge and cut off excess plywood and you have a guide. Place the cut edge on your mark as you would any rail and cut and it works just as well as any rail that costs how much??

That's exactly what I did.

An hour & >$700 later, I had a TS55EQ, rails & clamps that actually worked. :)

Chris Parks
07-11-2009, 8:19 AM
Hello,

Ah well, I saved $700 because mine worked. BTW I have used both extensively and can compare the difference and there is none, for me any way. The only thing I really miss from the Festool for is the dust collection, absolutely first class. I might convince me to buy one but I am a cheap skate at heart and as good as they are I just can't justify it for very occasional use. If you have the cash go ahead, you won't buy better than Festool, the rest are playing catch up.

Jason White
07-11-2009, 8:40 AM
Been there and done that.

I have the Festool TS55 with guide rail and it's worlds better than most (if not all) shop-made jigs.

Jason

Try this for occasional use, I use it all the time though. Get an offcut of plywood as long as you want and nail/screw/glue a straight board to it just as long, this is your saw guide. Run the saw down the straight edge and cut off excess plywood and you have a guide. Place the cut edge on your mark as you would any rail and cut and it works just as well as any rail that costs how much??

Dino Makropoulos
07-11-2009, 3:44 PM
Pete,

Do you think the EZ SRK would work on the Makita rails too?

Thanks.
-Jerry

I'm not Peter but...the ez SRK works with all tracks, routers,
hand held planers, drills and any power tool.

About 8/4" rough stock.
Min. 1500 w. 15 amp.motor and a 24 teeth blade.
Take a look at the latest Makita line of saws. The MGA's 5007 and 5008.
The best saw in the market for thick rough stock (2"+)
is the new Makita 10-1/4" Model: 5104.
Best place ( Price wise) to buy them is the HDT.net ( ask for Mark)

Another good buy is the 8-1/4" skill worm drive.
Good luck.

dino
eurekazone

johnny means
07-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Hello,

How could that have not worked? I've used similar jigs for years to seam laminate tops, joint boards, cut exact angles in large panels, inlay floors, and a host of other tasks. Unlike commercially available rails, my 15" plywood rail had no deflection, could be nailed or screwed into tricky spots( like a bead board ceiling for skylights) and could even be used as a strip of scrap plywood.
I am sure the Festool is a joy to use, and if you have the cheese and want one, why not? But to imply that one cannot get the same results without spending several hundred dollars is just plain false. All Festool did was put a shiny new coat on the same old work horse that's been lying in the back of contractors and cabinet makers trucks and shops for years.

Steven DeMars
07-12-2009, 1:41 AM
I have a DEWALT Track Saw . . . 102" & the 59" tracks . . . clamps, etc .

I can tell you this, it does everything advertised. I did the homemade straight edge for years . . . The Track Saw beats it hands down . . .

I cut up a few sheets of plywood this past weekend, you don't even need the clamps . . .

The only thing I did not like is the weird sound it makes when starting the motor . . although I have never owned anything but a worm drive before .

Where it beats the DIY system is, all you have to do is push it along, no fighting to stay against the guide rail . . .

I will say I thing $700.00 is a little steep . . . . But at least it's not made in China . . .

Rich Engelhardt
07-12-2009, 6:50 AM
Hello,

How could that have not worked? I've used similar jigs for years to seam laminate tops, joint boards, cut exact angles in large panels, inlay floors, and a host of other tasks.
Honestly?
Probably because I'm not you.

There's quite a few things I can do well.
Using a shop made guide isn't one of them.
There's probably a few things I can do that you can't.

For me, the final straw w/the shop made guide came when I botched a cut on a $105.00 piece of ply.
Not only was I on the hook for an additional $105.00, but I had to rent a truck (for $40.00 plus gas), take two hours out of my already minuscule shop time to make the round trip to pick it up.

That "extra" 2 hours basically meant my shop time for the next two weeks was done.

W/my schedule, I can get maybe - maybe - a half day Saturday & a couple of hours on Sunday morning in the shop.

I didn't imply anything. I stated a simple fact. I tried a shop made guide. It didn't work. It cost me a couple of hundred $$ plus my already severely limited shop time.

Gene Howe
07-12-2009, 8:04 AM
How could that have not worked? I've used similar jigs for years to seam laminate tops, joint boards, cut exact angles in large panels, inlay floors, and a host of other tasks. Unlike commercially available rails, my 15" plywood rail had no deflection, could be nailed or screwed into tricky spots( like a bead board ceiling for skylights) and could even be used as a strip of scrap plywood.
I am sure the Festool is a joy to use, and if you have the cheese and want one, why not? But to imply that one cannot get the same results without spending several hundred dollars is just plain false. All Festool did was put a shiny new coat on the same old work horse that's been lying in the back of contractors and cabinet makers trucks and shops for years.

I have used a DIY circ saw guide with a Skil Worm Drive for over thirty years. I've also used the same "technology":D for many router applications. Both systems have served well through many sets of cabinets, chests, entertainment centers and etc. Whether sheet goods or solid, rips or cross cuts, dados or grooves, the system performs with accuracy and simplicity.
I'll spend mucho bucks on a SMS, BS, TS and routers and tables. I'll not spend for a simple guide that is so easily fabricated and so simple in use.