PDA

View Full Version : Back-Bevel + Camber?

Sam Babbage
07-10-2009, 9:06 PM
I'm experimenting with back-beveling a blade for my smoother and I'm curious as to the relationship between the back-bevel and the camber. Will I need a stronger camber than if it were a flat-backed blade? I'm using a LV MK II with cambered roller, if it's relevant.

EDIT: Also, do both bevels need to be cambered? Or can I get away with a straight primary bevel and cambered back-bevel, or vise-versa?

Casey Gooding
07-10-2009, 9:46 PM
I would keep the back bevel straight, then camber the main bevel.

Sam Babbage
07-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks, that's what I was thinking!

Jim Koepke
07-11-2009, 2:00 AM
Hi Sam,

Welcome to the Creek, hope you find the waters fine.

I hope we are talking about a bevel down smoother here.

I am not much for using back bevels or cambers on my blades. Do not let that sway your way of working. What works for you is what is best for you and what doesn't work will be a learning experience. If it doesn't work the first time, try again latter just in case.

If an experiment with back beveling were my plan, I would try doing it straight and not worrying about the camber. This is where having a few spare blades for trying different effects can be a plus. When flattening blades, I have sometimes become impatient and not finished going all the way to the edges. I have noticed that this works similar to a cambered blade in that the shaving will not go all the way to the edge.
My theory is that one could put a back bevel on the blade and at the same time curve it a bit from flat to achieve the same effect as a camber. This would work also if the primary bevel does not have a camber.

Of course, that is mostly just my theory based on what happens in the shop and having recently hoisted a pint of ale.

jim

Sam Babbage
07-11-2009, 2:24 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a BD smoother. Being Australian a higher cutting angle is sometimes needed for our woods. And it is a spare blade, but it seems to tackle the wood I've thrown at it so far rather nicely.

Randy Klein
07-11-2009, 6:55 AM
I do exactly that - back bevel and camber. It works great.

I use it on both BU and BD planes. For me, it's real easy to do since I use my own jig that was designed to facilitate it.

But before that, I was able to do it with the ruler trick (if that's the back bevel you are referring to).