PDA

View Full Version : bowls to ash trays

Don Meyer
07-10-2009, 8:22 PM
I have read several of the threads concerning the types of bowl gouges ie V shaped and U shaped . I am a new turner and I purchased both shaped gouges from Thompson lathe tools. I have had success using the U shaped gouges on forming the outside of bowls but when it comes to forming the lips and upper walls on the inside I have problems with both the U and V shaped gpuges. It seems to go good and when I get to the point of forming the lips and upper walls I seem to lose control of both the shapes and continually get catchs. The bowls I work on eventually end up as ash trays instead of bowls from from the walls catching on the gouges. I have a Nova lath and as of yet I haven"t tried swinging the head stock as yet.My question is would turning the headstock help in presenting the tools to the bowls and cut down on the catchs?

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2009, 8:26 PM
It might help but the biggest thing that helped me when I had the same problem was watching Bill Grumbines and Mike Mahoney DVD's on bowl turning. My problem when I started and having massive catches was tool presentation.

Ryan Baker
07-10-2009, 8:42 PM
I agree that it's mostly about tool presentation, but also be sure you aren't trying to work on the rim with the bowl too thin (you don't mention how you work). You need to finish the rim completely before you turn the inside down more than about an inch down the side, and then don't go back. You need the support of the thinker walls to keep the rim from flexing when you bring in the tool. Rotating the headstock may make things more comfortable for you, but won't make any difference in being able to make the cut.

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2009, 8:50 PM
Don - Welcome to the Creek! Have to agree with what has been stated so far - tool presentation is most likely what is causing the problem. Give us a little more info on how you have been turning your bowls and we should be able to offer some suggestions. Pictures help!