PDA

View Full Version : Jet mortiser set up

Jim Kappel
07-10-2009, 7:09 PM
I'm finally, after like 6 months, getting around to setting up my new Jet mortiser. One problem, I'm stuck on the chuck extension adaptor. I don't get how it is supposed to stay in place.

I got to this point....I got the chuck off, the adaptor is now stuck in the chuck (in the correct end), and now I'm trying to get the adaptor to stay put on the spindle...

The manual reads: "Push the optional chuck release nut to its former high position on the spindle" and then "Push the optional adaptor onto the spindle as shown. Then firmly push the chuck onto the adaptor."

There are no threads and it doesn't say anything about tightening the unit for it to stay. Any it's not staying!!!!

Any help?

Jim

Robert foster
07-10-2009, 7:59 PM
Jim:
that is a morse taper you really have to push it on maybe even tap it lightly with a hammer. It will hold just don't give up.
Bob

Jim Kappel
07-10-2009, 8:03 PM
So.....if I ever want to remove the extender from the spindle or the chuck from the extender....???? How do I go about doing that?

Thanks! I kind of figured it was kind of a "get it stuck on there" gizmo, but I couldn't figure out what the chuck release nut had to do with it... A nut to me means tighten or thread on.

Jim

Robert foster
07-10-2009, 8:10 PM
To get it off unscrew the flange nut and it will push the chuck or extender off the taper.
bob