PDA

View Full Version : Basement finishing?

Wes Billups
07-10-2009, 4:37 PM
I’m getting ready to start a pretty good sized project at home. I’ll be finishing a rec room, bedroom, bathroom, and laundry room in our basement. There are numerous things to do before I’m to the point of actually building but I have quite a few questions that I need answered so we can finalize our plans.

1. What’s the best alternative to heating and cooling the different spaces. I’m thinking of just tapping into the existing forced air system as the basement stays pretty cool during the summer. My concern is supplemental heat during the winter, is there a relatively inexpensive option? I’m considering electric baseboard but would like to hear other options.
2. I’m planning on sheathing the walls with foam insulation, then screwing furring strips through the foam into the foundation walls. I like this option due to it’s moisture and thermal properties. I’d be interested to get other’s input on the best way to frame and insulate basement walls.
3. I want to install the egress window myself and would like to know if this is nuts. I’ve got a quote to have someone do the installation including materials as $2800. I can buy the same materials for $1000. Will I regret trying to install this myself?

Please let me know if there are any other pitfalls or things to watch out for. I want to draw on those with experience finishing basements while I’m in the planning phase.

Thanks,
Wes

Paul Ryan
07-10-2009, 5:58 PM
Wes, the best option for your basement it hotwater heat in the floor. But since your basement is already poured it is a little tricker to do and you will loose some head room. The tubing is layed down on top of your existing floor and then covered with cement again. The nice thing about this heat is it will radiat up and heat your main floor as well. IF you don't want to go that route then I would add duct work to your existing furnace. In the end you may need a larger furnace due to the extra space you are heating. Another word of advice it you go with the forced air method make sure you put you outlet vents near the floor. So run them all of the way to the bottom in the walls. If you don't your basement would heat worth a dam. My basement was done long before I bought this house. They have the vents in the false celing down there and the heat never makes it more than about 4 feet down, the lower 4 feet is real cold usually about 58 degrees down there in the winter.

I have a couple of new rooms to finish the walls on in my house. We added on in 06, and part of the addition was more basement. I planed on nailing up 2x2's to the concrete walls and putting polystyrene insulation between the 2x2's. The reason for the 2x2's is I need something to nail the cedar car siding up to and the electrical boxes to. I am looking for other methods as well.

Jim Rimmer
07-10-2009, 6:06 PM
I lived in a house in Iowa and the basement was already finished. In order to get the rooms comfortable with the forced air heat, the rest of the house was unbearable. I bought a Vornado portable heater for about $60. They are a little bigger than a basketball and made of plastic but they are great! Very quiet, thermostat control, tipover protection, do not get hot to the touch so safe around children and do not burn up the oxygen or produce carbon monoxide. I ended up getting one for my Iowa shop, too. I can't remember the spec'd coverage but I ended up heating (or supplemental heating) about twice what they said it would do.

Inexpensive way out if you don't mind having a heater sitting on the floor. But, they are not dangerous around fabric, paper, or children.

Wes Billups
07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm getting close to starting this project and am cosidering the heating options. I think I'm going to go with the built-in electric heaters. I saw some at Lowes last night that should work. I know electric heat is expensive, but for the spare bedroom I'm guessing it's the perfect option. This room will only be used a few weeks every winter so I don't think the operating cost will be an issue.

I'm looking for recommendations on brands and sizes. The bedroom is 12' x 12' with 8' ceilings. I'm also considering one for the rec area which is 500 square feet. I'd also go another route if anyone has ideas or bad experiences with these wall type electric heaters.

http://www.bathheat.com/Product_Models/SED2024W.html

Tom Godley
07-23-2009, 1:02 PM
The heater will certainly work but they tend to be noisy, the heat is concentrated and the thermostats are not very accurate.

They are often used in hallways and bathrooms where space is a premium - I use one in a small work room to bring the room up to temp but the thermostat is graduated 1.2.3.... not 70. 72. etc.

If you are definitely going with electric heat - regular electric baseboard with a wall thermostat is the way to go. The upfront costs are very low and you can match the needed heating load to the space by buying the correct units.

They are also very easy to install.