PDA

View Full Version : Questions re/sanding hf's and tailstock extenders

Hilel Salomon
07-10-2009, 1:04 PM
Hi Folks,

No matter at what angle I use the little circular carbide insert, the inside of my HF's is rough. How do you sand the interiors?

I also have been using, on occasion, an extender w/2MT taper as both a means of extending my live centers and other accessories, but I have a rough time taking the accessories out of the extender.

Advice always welcome.
Regards, Hilel.

Mike Minto
07-10-2009, 1:48 PM
hilel, how large an opening are you talking about in your hf's you wish to sand? i usually just take the finish off the tool, either 5/8 fingernail gouge or sorby hollowmaster - i'm usually concentrating on trying to get a decent finish on the exterior. now, a bowl or something with a LARGE visible interior surface is a different animal, obviously. re the 'extender', this is a morse taper mt2 to mt2 extender, yes? does it have slots in it's sides? have you a 'drift pin' for removing the morse taper from a drill press (this may be an obvious thing to ask, don't know what you know). :) mike

Ralph Lindberg
07-10-2009, 1:59 PM
Make the hole small enough and people can't tell how rough the inside is:D

Steve Schlumpf
07-10-2009, 2:20 PM
Hilel - have to agree with Mike in that it all depends on the size of the entry hole. I usually get it as smooth as I can with tools and then - if large enough - will sand what I can. When the hole if small enough that you can only get one finger in it - then I just let it go. Course, there is always the collar option!

David Walser
07-10-2009, 4:11 PM
You can use long handled scissors-like clamps to reach inside a HF to sand. Here's a link to an example: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Abrasives___Sanding_Accessories___Sanding_Clamp___ sanding_clamps?Args=

Hilel Salomon
07-10-2009, 6:30 PM
I try to make the hole as small as possible... therefore the problem. The clamps look like a good idea. Steve, you're such a marvelous turner, that I suspect your tool finish is better than my sanded one.
Mike, you can always assume that I know next to nothing. Don't know what a drift pin is, but I'll look it up.
Thanks, Hilel

Hilel Salomon
07-10-2009, 6:35 PM
Sorry, I still am not sure how a drift pin would work. The extenders I have are in fact 2MT to 2MT and have large slots on the sides. So far I've removed things by banging them sideways on a metal edge, but there has to be a better way.
Thanks, Hilel.

Jeff Nicol
07-10-2009, 6:59 PM
Sorry, I still am not sure how a drift pin would work. The extenders I have are in fact 2MT to 2MT and have large slots on the sides. So far I've removed things by banging them sideways on a metal edge, but there has to be a better way.
Thanks, Hilel.
Hilel, The drift pin or what we always used to get MT drills out of the big drill press is a piece of flat steel that is cut at an angle so that it fits in one of the slots and as you tap it into the slot it drives the taper out. So it really not a drift pin in the true sense of the word, a driftpin is used buy steel workers to line up holes to put in bolts or rivets while building steel structures or when I was a sheetmetal worker to line up the bolt holes on blowpipe and ductwork.

On the getting the inside smooth I try to do a final shear scrape with one of my perfectly ground circular saw blade cutters in a round or oval shape to do the task. Using light pressure and a good speed you can get little tiny whispy curls that are kind of cutting/polishing the wood. The carbide cutters are good for roughing and I believe HSS is bett for the finishing cuts as it gets a better bur on it when sharpened and that is what you want for a fine shear scrape.

Half done with the steady rest too!

Have a great weekend,

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
07-10-2009, 8:20 PM
Hilel I had been using the tear drop carbide scraper that Jamison sells on my articulating arm unit. I just got the Hunter Cutter from Randy that fits my tool and since then I seldom have to sand. I take light cuts back and forth to produce a pretty smooth surface. I do hand sand a little around the neck if I don't put a collar on.

robert baccus
07-14-2009, 11:57 PM
Do as bernie says and if is still ugly slosh a bit of black laquer in it. -----------------------------ol forester