PDA

View Full Version : Lumber Storage .....Vertical or Horizontal?

Justin R Thomas
07-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I am in the process of building a shop and I am trying to decide where to put my Panel box. It just so happens that I would like to put my lumber racks in the the same place where the panel will be. Vertical storage would work great keeping the panel excessible, horizontal not so much.

What are the pros and cons of either Vertical or horizontal Lumber Storage if any? Thanks in Advance........

John Thompson
07-10-2009, 10:36 AM
I have both.. both work fine. If you go vertical which sounds like is your best bet given the circumstances... get the end grain on the bottom off of the concrete floor with a slightly angles wooden base or whatever.

Gotta run... good luck.

David Romano
07-10-2009, 12:23 PM
I try to avoid vertical storage because the stock can warp from gravity if leaned at enough of an angle. I've found that I have to periodically flip the boards over to counteract it. This can even happen if not stickered enough with horizontal storage

David

Myk Rian
07-10-2009, 12:33 PM
I store the longer boards horiz. in the rafters.
You'll probably get a 50-50 on opinions.

Michael McCoy
07-10-2009, 1:38 PM
I have it both vertical and horizontal but prefer the vertical for ease of getting lumber in and out. Mine sits on a plywood platform with about a 5 degree angle down toward the wall, Support against the wall is provided by a 2x4 frame and the lumber sits tightly against that. Pic doesn't show the frame but you can see how tightly the wood sits and without need to be tied back.

Frank Drew
07-10-2009, 2:21 PM
I'm more comfortable storing dimension lumber (8/4 and up) vertically than thinner stock, unless it's 5' or under; I've had some 4/4 ash take on a permanent bow, as David warns against. If you can support the lumber in a tilted position, though, as Michael does, you should be ok. I did that with plywood stored vertically.

David Giles
07-10-2009, 7:19 PM
Gravity shouldn't make the wood bow, but moisture certainly will. Uninsulated shop walls can transfer lots of humidity. Or maybe just the temperature differential will dry out one side of the board faster than the other causing it to bow. Wet brick on the outer walls retains lots of water.

Insulated walls with a vapor barrier shouldn't be a problem. And, like the previous poster said, keep the boards off concrete. I find a hardboard barrier is enough to prevent moisture transfer.