PDA

View Full Version : Vacation -- Woodworking while Traveling?

Danny Thompson
07-10-2009, 7:46 AM
Have you ever taken a project with you on vacation?

A week-long trip to the beach is in my future and I'd like to squeeze in some woodworking. If nothing else, maybe I can practice sawing straight, cut some mortises and tenons, dovetails.

Got any good ideas for a small project you can take with you? What have you done?

george wilson
07-10-2009, 8:34 AM
You could just whittle something.

Garth Keel
07-10-2009, 8:59 AM
There is a lot of work in fixing up an old plane (or other tool) time consuming but not difficult. Then you could say "This is what I did on my vacation in Paris" (Texas). :D

Michael Faurot
07-10-2009, 9:22 AM
I've made boxes while away from my main shop. It requires some logistics and planning to think about the various tools I need to have to do what I intend to do. But that's one of the nice things about working with hand tools, it's possible to pack up a number of the tools needed and bring them with you.

One significant thing I've found that greatly aids in this is to dimension the wood that's going to be used before going on the trip. This way you need to bring fewer tools with you and you're taking smaller/thinner pieces.

Matt Meiser
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Remember if you are flying that you can't carry any tools on. And checked luggage isn't the safest place for them.

Luke Townsley
07-10-2009, 11:50 AM
The beach is usually a rather corrosive environment for tool steel. Also, most resorts don't have enough workbenches, so you may have to wait awhile to use one. ;-)

You best bet is probably whittling or picking up interesting driftwood (assuming that is permitted where you are going).

You might think about doing something interesting with bamboo or coconuts if you are going tropical.

Bill Kapinski
07-10-2009, 1:54 PM
This is something I have been thinking about as well. Tom Fidgen's blog "Working Wood" has a tool box that he made and also sells that is designed to act as a baby workbench if you will. I have thought of making something similar for the same purpose. You would be able to use it to work on small projects because how big of a project are you going to work on vacation anyway. You would have to pare back your tools or the weight would kill you, unless you use it for your exercise, but it also might make you learn to do things in a different way. And as Michael mentioned dimensioning the wood ahead of time would help save space and require less tools to bring.

Bill

Gene DiNardo
07-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Good opportunity to learn chip carving,
Few tools.
Basswood blanks for dishes, plaques and such are cheap and light.
There are several books on the subject.
The skill can be used to embelish future projects.
Nice way to pass the time on the balcony of a cruise ship.

phil harold
07-12-2009, 10:28 AM
+1 for carving
just need a few tools, strop and wood

John Schreiber
07-12-2009, 10:49 AM
I've done carving on vacations. A picnic table and a quick clamp does pretty well for a workbench. I've put the gouges and other tools through checked luggage in a roll, inside a soft case with a big warning message on it for TSA. "Danger - Sharp woodworking tools inside. Inspect with care.

A couple of nice whittling knives and either some found wood or something brought with is a simpler approach.

Jim Nardi
07-12-2009, 8:01 PM
When I go on vacation for a month or two I usually plan to make a few boxes. Sharpening is usually some sandpaper.

Jeff Johnson
07-12-2009, 8:02 PM
Yeah - chip carved a few things.

Dave Lehnert
07-12-2009, 9:22 PM
Remember if you are flying that you can't carry any tools on. And checked luggage isn't the safest place for them.

Roy underhill told me a story how before 911 he would fly with his hand tools (Hatches) in a gun case. After 911 this caused a big problem. So he switched to placing them in a golf bag case, Problem solved. Go figure.

How about taking your laptop and playing with Google sketchup.