PDA

View Full Version : Bath tub question??????/

Ken Fitzgerald
07-10-2009, 1:18 AM
Today I finished setting our new American Standard Americast Princeton bathtub.

According to my research, American Standard makes only 1 cast iron tub. The rest are their "Americast" tubs. Basically it's porcelain over steel over what appears to be carbon fiber or graphite.

I installed our new one today as per the instructions. A level 60" stringer on the wall. Then I nailed a strip down along the outside of the tub and put nails over the top lip of the tub into the wall studs.

A big orange sticker on the tub warns "Installer do not put on a mortar bed" or the warrantee will be voided.

I'm a pretty good sized lad at 265 lbs. When I step into this tub I hear a clicking sound indicating some movement. When I step out I hear it again.

Is this normal for these type of tubs?

Help!

Gene Howe
07-10-2009, 5:17 AM
Ken,
Hate to be a pessimist but, sounds like you have a crack. Something is lacking in integrity, at any rate.
Gene

Randy Cohen
07-10-2009, 6:27 AM
I would try to find out where specifically the clicking sound is coming from.

Bob Lloyd
07-10-2009, 6:37 AM
A "clicking" sound is not what you would expect to hear. I would agree with Randy about trying to find exactly where it is coming from. A number of plumbers that I have used have used foam as support, I do not know whether that would void the warranty.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-10-2009, 2:05 PM
No matter the weight when you put a load on something there is movement.
It might be squidging around on an uneven spot in the floor or the casting

David G Baker
07-10-2009, 4:53 PM
Ken,
It may be too late but rigid foam board or blue board is used under appliances where mortar beds are not recommended as Bob L wrote. I had a noise problem with a synthetic marble shower pan I installed several years ago, didn't know about using foam board back then, I can see now how the foam board would have solved my problem.