PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Fein 1/2 sheet sander?

george wilson
07-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the Fein 1/2 sheet sander model 614 b? It goes 21,000 rpm as smooth as silk,and cut like a belt sander. It was expensive,like over $600.00. Wonder if that's why it was discontinued. It was wonderfully balanced,with huge bearings in the pad.

If you ever used one,you'd be very spoiled by the rapidity which it would sand at. I don't know of another 1/2 sheet sander that goes anything like that speed. Ant input is appreciated.

george wilson
07-17-2009, 10:46 AM
Anyone at all?

Frank Martin
07-17-2009, 12:11 PM
I know nothing about the sander, but a quick google search showed it is still available at least from one source: burnstools.com

george wilson
07-17-2009, 4:04 PM
Thanks,Frank. I was hoping someone would come through. The dealers I knew of didn't sell it any more. If time is money,the $704.00 wouldn't be too ridiculous a price.Like I said,they are VERY smooth,and cut like a belt sander.

Frank Martin
07-17-2009, 9:55 PM
I was looking for a sheet sander couple years ago, considered Festool and Makita and ended up Makita. At the time there were a quite a few people who returned their Festool because of complaints about smoothness. There were also a lot of folks who said it was the smoothest sander ever, but the conflicting reports suggested quality control problems, which I did not want to deal with.

Probably would not go for the Fein because my hobby usage (or the lack of) does not justify the price tag, but it never came up in any board discussion I have seen. So, thanks for bringing this up...

Byron Trantham
07-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I bought the Festool and haven't regretted it. I don't have any reference to other brands but I can't imagine them performing much, if any, better. That sander makes glue-up seams just disappear. :D

Bob Aquino
07-18-2009, 3:52 PM
I have no doubt the Fein is a very nice sander, but I have had good luch with Bosch and they have a model that goes for about 160 currently at Amazon. I would also consider a Metabo, they have a very good reputation as well.

george wilson
07-18-2009, 5:46 PM
The Fein goes 20,000 rpm. That makes it sand like crazy. There is a very large bearing you can see just above the sanding pad,very heavy duty,which makes the sander very smooth. It's amazing how smooth.

Anderson Mike
08-06-2009, 8:29 AM
The Fein goes 20,000 rpm. That makes it sand like crazy. There is a very large bearing you can see just above the sanding pad,very heavy duty,which makes the sander very smooth. It's amazing how smooth.
Hey George, I have one I was getting ready to place on e-bay.

I agree, it is very, very nice and a shame isn't made any more.It is in like-new condition and was used just to test sanding quality, not for a project. I have 10-20 varieties of Klingspor sandpaper to go with it. I'm asking $500... let me know if you're interested!

george wilson
08-06-2009, 4:14 PM
Yes,I definitely want the sander!!! Anyone who has used one of these would realize what they are missing out on! I'm old,and I need all the help I can get on jobs like sanding.