PDA

View Full Version : Driftmaster & Resaw King Blade

Mike OMelia
07-09-2009, 9:56 PM
(Both from Laguna)

Just got the Driftmaster installed. They make it look easy in the videos. Its not THAT easy. Also, the instructions included are next to useless. Absolutely no help in setting it up.

However, it was somewhat intuitive to me, so I managed.

That aside, this is a very nice fence! I cut several slices off a board at less then 0.08" and they were all very similar. Getting rid of drift is very easy and the cuts are very repeatable.

As for the blade... I love it! 1" wide and 3 tpi. (variable pitch).

Mike

Jacob Mac
07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
These types of reviews do me (read my wallet) no good.

What problems did you have with the install?

Mike Heidrick
07-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Did you use the walkthrough I made at all?? Would you like any additions made to the walkthrough for the MM16?

Wipe that blade down with wax or Boeshield when you are done using it. I cut some locust that was wet and had some rust on the band I had to take care of. Keep your blade rust protected.

Mike OMelia
07-10-2009, 1:06 AM
Thanks Mike, will do. I did read your walk through and it did help. Still, one has to see the situation and integrate all the "facts on the ground" for each saw type. Thanks for the walk through. For my situation, the current holes (which I widened) were in "nibs" whose thickenss meant I could not use the table bolts that came with the kit. I kind of got wrapped around the axle when I bumped into that.

Sorry Jacob, I was not intending to do a review. Just posting some info as I go. I have only installed it and cut a few pieces. All that you need for the install is there, but the paper manual was really cheesy for a device of this caliber (and price!). Most of what I learned was from the videos (youtube) and Mike's walk through. However, getting it set flush with the table was the real problem. Lots of futzing around till I figured out a "system" that worked (for me and my particular situation). Maybe its not possible to document this process given all the different saws it will mount to. It is designed to mount straight to a Laguna, all other saws have to use the universal mounting brackets which require one to really scratch one's head when leveling the carriage. But once installed, it is darn slick at adjusting for drift and making repeatable thickeness cuts!

BTW, it came with a DVD... gonna look at that tomorrow. Yeah, I know...

Also, if it sounded like I was whining, sorry. I really like this fence. Happy camper! I had to do the work in a hot garage and I do not deal with heat very well!

Mike

Edit: BTW, after the install, wheel to the left, I had no problem opening the lower cabinet. That was indeed fortunate.

Mike OMelia
07-11-2009, 4:08 PM
Blade update: I have been out resawing some Osage Orange logs into boards. It indeed cuts very smooth! I would say 220 grit is a good estimate.

Mike