PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience With These Grizzly Combos?

Larry Anderson
07-09-2009, 6:55 PM
Even though not really needed I'm considering one of these combo machines from Grizzly 'cuz I can. Anyone seen, have one or used one?

http://grizzly.com/products/10-Jointer-Planer-Combo/G0675

http://grizzly.com/products/12-Jointer-Planer/G0633

Barry Vabeach
07-09-2009, 9:41 PM
Larry, I have the 12 inch Jet Combo and like it a lot. If you do a search you should find some posts on the 12 inch Grizzly, a number of people bought that instead of the Jet, because the Jet didn't offer the spiral option.

Larry Anderson
07-09-2009, 10:51 PM
I shouldn't be so lazy. Thanks Barry, I found lots of info.

Mr. Jeff Smith
07-10-2009, 1:06 AM
I shouldn't be so lazy. Thanks Barry, I found lots of info.

You should post said info here so when the next person searches they find it via your thread. :)

Larry Anderson
07-10-2009, 9:21 AM
Here are some links

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98694&highlight=grizzly+combo

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=110125&highlight=grizzly+combo

Bernie May
07-10-2009, 10:21 AM
I have the 10" combo unit (G0675). I bought it primarily because of the short beds. I already had a 12" Ridgid planer and so I didn't need the planer. I wanted the 12" Jet, but the shorter beds and lower price sucked me in. It arrived undamaged and was easy to set up. The planer works great and the conversion is simple. The step of taking off the fence is also very easy. The primary problem is bed adjustment. The outfeed has to be aligned first with the cutter head and then you adjust the infeed to be coplaner with the outfeed. The infeed has four bolts on each side, so it has pretty infinite adjustment. Once aligned in a plane, the infeed adjust with a small handgrip up and down. There is no lock, just friction keeps it in place. The infeed bed pivots on two rods. After aligned the beds in a single plane, I moved the infeed down and it was out of plane by .012 over the 20" of the bed. Yikes! Called Grizzly and they said they would adjust the beds at some height I wanted to cut at. That's weird; I'm not allowed to adjust my depth of cut? To do it over I guess I would have bought the shortest 8" dedicated planer I could find and accept this monster space hog in my two car garage shop.
-bernie

Curt Harms
07-10-2009, 8:45 PM
I've had mine for several months. I had a 13" Delta planer & 6" jointer previously. I'm quite content with my purchase. It arrived well packed and adjustments were very good. The jointer beds adjust using eccentrics like the Delta DJ20 & Grizzly 490. The Jet spiral head was not offered when I bought my machine. I do know that thing will generate a bunch of chips in a short time:).

If I were in the market today, I'd be intrigued by the G0675, nice price & 10" is a nice jointer width. Bernie's experience has me puzzled. From what I understand, the jointer in-feed bed doesn't stay parallel as it's raised and lowered. That certainly doesn't seem right. The Jet has 2 shafts joined by an arm. If that mechanism is functioning properly, both shafts rotate the same amount and the bed stays parallel as it moves. Griz is supposed to have good technical support. It sounds like it's time to use it.

Scott T Smith
07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Larry, earlier this year Grizzly still had some of their G0660X 16" combo units. They discontinued them this year, but if they have any left they may be discounted.

They were made for Grizzly by Sheppach in Germany, and are a very high quality unit. I have one, and have been very pleased with it. The accuracy, fit and finish is excellent.

They use a Leitz cutter head (Tersa style knives), so they are not the insert spiral cutterhead, but the blade changes are quick and no adjustments required.

Danny Burns
07-12-2009, 6:21 AM
The primary problem is bed adjustment. ....Yikes! Called Grizzly and they said they would adjust the beds at some height I wanted to cut at. That's weird; I'm not allowed to adjust my depth of cut?
-bernie:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

This sounds to me like something is seriously wrong with your machine, and perhaps the correct solution is a new replacement machine, and not the band-aid fix that Grizzly is offering you.:mad:

I adjust the depth of cut all the time, and would not even think of buying a jointer that has it's infeed table locked at one depth of cut.

You must have gotten a rookie on the phone or called on a Monday or Friday! I would insist on this being put right.

ed vitanovec
07-12-2009, 9:56 PM
Another 12" jointer/planer to consider when available in Sept. is the Rikon, it will be shown at the IWF show this week. The pictures I have see look good and has some different features from the rest of the crowd. Only half the bed needs to be lifted when in planning mode.

Regards!
Ed