PDA

View Full Version : One of my varations of chip carving

Doug Duffield
07-09-2009, 5:43 PM
When my mother-in-law died, the family decided to have her ashes, her husband's ashes and one of their daughter's ashes placed together for burial. My brother-in-law gave me some eastern cedar from the family farm about 3 years ago. I sawed the cedar into slabs and built a cremains box from the cedar. I had about 2 weeks to do the project.

The box is mitered together and the lid and bottom are glued and screwed to the box. I am not good enough to carve around knots in wood, so I cheated and used basswood for the lid. The pattern was drawn freehand and was carved with a straight blade knife and a small gouge - I don't know the size as there are no markings on the gouge - about 3/8" wide.

Doug

Mike Henderson
07-09-2009, 6:48 PM
That looks great. You're very lucky to have the artistic ability to draw the pattern, also.

I'm sure your work will be very appreciated by your family.

Mike

John Timberlake
07-10-2009, 7:07 AM
Great work. I am sure your in-laws would be proud.

Thomas Knapp
07-10-2009, 7:36 AM
Very nice and a touching tribute. I'd like to see more carving, if you have more.
Tom

Doug Mason
07-10-2009, 8:12 AM
Very nice!

On a side note, how do you distinguish between a chip carving and a relief carving--in that to my inexperienced eye this appears more like the latter than the former?

Doug Duffield
07-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Very nice!

On a side note, how do you distinguish between a chip carving and a relief carving--in that to my inexperienced eye this appears more like the latter than the former?

I don't know what to call it either, I just thought that it is a type of freeform chip carving with some relief carving on the grapes and leaves.

And thanks everyone for the kind words. Funny thing was, we went to the cemetery the day before the service and looked at the vault that the box was to fit into. I found out that the dimensions I was given were incorrect, the box was too tall and the bottom too big. I had to remove the bottom of the box, remove the cremains, cut the sides of the box down 2 inches, recut the bottom and replace the cremains and box bottom. I finished around 2 o'clock in the morning of the service. Needless to say, I was a bit groggy during the service.

Doug

Jim Paulson
07-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Doug,

I like your design and how you created some depth to the clusters of grapes. Basswood was a wise choice for the top. I agree with Mike and the others that this was a nice thing to do to remember loved ones.

Take care,
Jim