PDA

View Full Version : Good Borg dealing

Chris Kennedy
07-09-2009, 4:41 PM
I just wanted to post a recent good experience at the orange borg. All too often there are posts about negative experiences at the borg and other places, and I think we miss out on the good experiences. So, I thought a post about a good experience is warranted.

I recently needed to buy a 15 gauge angled nailer. There were two that I was considering -- a Ridgid on clearance and a more expensive PC. There was also a Bostitch but that was more than I wanted to spend.

A sales associate stopped to see if I needed help, and I told him I was interested in the Ridgid. They were out, which didn't surprise me too much -- the clearance had worked. He was willing to sell me the display, but I wanted the case and manuals. So, I said I would take the PC. He looked through the stock cages above, couldn't find one, and went to check on availability.

He reappeared after a couple of minutes with the news that there were supposed to be two in stock -- one would be the display, with one overhead. Again, no luck. He had a quick conversation with a manager and told me he would give me the Bostitch for the price of the PC (about $20 knocked off the price). I was happy to take it.

Now, this was nice, but what really made me happy was the service. I had my two year old with me, and I have an injured wrist. Holding onto my boy with my good hand didn't leave me with much. The guy got the nailer for me, came with me over to the air fittings section to get the right connector, then helped me to the counter and then to my car.

I got a good deal, which was nice, but I also got the help I needed, which was greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Matthew Joe
07-09-2009, 5:17 PM
Glad to hear of some good BORG experiences once in a while. I have to agree that (when you can find someone to help, which is touch and go sometimes), the help at the BORGs is usually pretty good and enthusiastic.

I've talked to a number of employees in the lumber section of my local store and they admit to being horribly ashamed at the lumber quality and selection. It's nice to hear them admit the obvious...

Mike Cruz
07-09-2009, 5:29 PM
You know, I don't know how often you go there, but maybe the guy recognized you as a regular...if you are one.

I have had PLENTY of good experiences at my HD. I have had employees give me replacement items for free, as good customer service, because they have seen me in there so many times before.

Just yesterday, I asked one of the guys in the tools department if they had hose/hose accesories/accesories for their Ridgid line. The answer to accesories in general, was no they don't carry them. BUT, he then walked WITH me about 4 aisles down to the section where all the Ridgid vacs are to show me what they had in hoses and hose accesories. He tried so hard to find something that would work for me that I practically had to shush him away. Again, this guy has not only seen me around there a million times, but has helped me before.

I am a HUGE advocate for "you get better CS when you are A) friendly, and B) a regular.

I can't begin to tell you about the deals and CS I get at Best Buy. I hear horror stories all the time about them. I actually have the cell number of one of the managers...she gave it to ME...to call whenever I had an issue or needed anything and couldn't get her on the wonderful phone system that they have. BTW, she knows I'm married, has met my wife, and she isn't single...so that wasn't her motivation.

Prashun Patel
07-09-2009, 5:35 PM
Me too. I love my BORG.
And come on, they're super about returns. You CAN'T complain about that.

Peter Quinn
07-09-2009, 7:20 PM
Glad to hear it. As much as I like to bash the BORG as a company, I too have had some good personal experiences with individual associates at outlets here and there. They manage to weed out most of the good ones at my local store, but not all of them, at least not right away.

I had one guy cut, thread and wrap a large amount of pipe for clamps once that sticks out in my mind. All different sizes, he kept things clean and organized, wrapped them up. put little shop towels in the end of each to catch any cutting fluid that might drip out on the ride home. Did it all with a smile, really exceeded my expectations. I felt I should tell the manager what a great experience I'd had but feared he might fire the guy for gross competence against company policy.:D I had another guy get on the phone and track down a compressor that was out of stock at another store and have it shipped to my location QUICK. I think they did fire him for gross competence.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-09-2009, 8:20 PM
The BORG is my favorite store, but I know the limitations. They sell good homeowner stuff. They do not sell high end stuff. Don't go there and try to find any. But they do carry stuff that the average homeowner uses and can afford. (No Unisaw or SawStop) But they do sell Ridgid, which I do see a lot more of on the TV do it alone network shows. I do like their stuff. I think it's one of the few stores that have good stuff, good prices, and you can buy dirt, a fridge, wood, concrete, tile, tools, a Coke (not Pepsi) and a chainsaw.

Chris Harry
07-09-2009, 8:30 PM
Yep, definitely some good BORG experiences here. Problem is, most are NOT from the store thats 1 mile from me.

The last straw was when a store farther from me allowed me to return my TS3660 within the 90 day limit, to upgrade to the TS4511 (granite top). Funny, I bought the 3660 from the store right by me but they refused to take the return. The store farther from me, who I didnt even buy the saw from, didnt bat an eye.

So, I go to the one farther from me now on (unless Im in an absolute pinch).

Chris Kennedy
07-09-2009, 8:35 PM
I cannot say that I am a true regular at my HD. I'm a weekend warrior during the summer, so I am there most weekends during the hotter months. Maybe this guy recognized me, but I have never spoken to him before. I also think my HD is pretty good. I have dealt with probably 10 HD's in 5 states over the last handful of years with helping friends and family, and I think my current HD is good in comparison.

Anyway, I started this thread to give some credit where credit is due. Sometimes, I think that gets overlooked.

Cheers,

Chris

Mike Cruz
07-09-2009, 8:52 PM
Actually, I would say that it happens more often than not that my trip to HD includes finding stuff that they sell and using it to "rig" up something that I need.

One of the reasons that I have frequented my HD so much is that after purchasing our home about 5 years ago, not only did we gut the house and re-do it, but I did the same with our barn, and well, yes, I went there for all the supplies to finish my shop (which I had a company build the shell). So, through construction-type jobs, that is how I have come to be recognized there.

I can't agree more about quality woodworking stuff...you won't find it there.

Dave Lehnert
07-09-2009, 10:10 PM
You know, I don't know how often you go there, but maybe the guy recognized you as a regular...if you are one.

I have had PLENTY of good experiences at my HD. I have had employees give me replacement items for free, as good customer service, because they have seen me in there so many times before.

Just yesterday, I asked one of the guys in the tools department if they had hose/hose accesories/accesories for their Ridgid line. The answer to accesories in general, was no they don't carry them. BUT, he then walked WITH me about 4 aisles down to the section where all the Ridgid vacs are to show me what they had in hoses and hose accesories. He tried so hard to find something that would work for me that I practically had to shush him away. Again, this guy has not only seen me around there a million times, but has helped me before.

I am a HUGE advocate for "you get better CS when you are A) friendly, and B) a regular.

I can't begin to tell you about the deals and CS I get at Best Buy. I hear horror stories all the time about them. I actually have the cell number of one of the managers...she gave it to ME...to call whenever I had an issue or needed anything and couldn't get her on the wonderful phone system that they have. BTW, she knows I'm married, has met my wife, and she isn't single...so that wasn't her motivation.

I Too believe that dealing with the same store and people goes a long, long way. We have a Sears Hardware store close to the house. I know everyone there and they know me. I never have a problem and if I do it is taken care of before I can say anything.
I run a retail Garden Center for over 20 years. I know my good customers. They can walk in with a problem and I will take care of it no matter if it was my fault or theirs. I have made a lot of friends with my customers.
You can also tell the customers that BS you. "I buy everything here" they say when trying to return a dead shrub with no receipt. But they have the shrub in a Wal-Mart bag and a trunk full of top soil they just picked up at Home Depot. LOL!!!!!

Jim Rimmer
07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I get good service at HD. It was sporadic for a while because they couldn't hire anyone. Unfortuantely the economy went down hill and they have help now.

I go so often I had to call them today to let them know I wouldn't be in. ;)

Brad Townsend
07-10-2009, 9:46 AM
Several years ago, I had a similar experience at HD. I had just built my shop and was looking to buy an air conditioner. (Yes, I know...I'm spoiled.:D) HD was having a 40% off sale and I ended up with an 18,000 unit for a ridiculously low price. The other nice part was that without my asking, they picked it, carried it and loaded for me. I never had to lay a hand on it until I got it home. I was in and out of the store in under ten minutes.

Paul Greathouse
07-10-2009, 10:11 AM
My brother-in-law's ex-wife called Lowes the "Mans Walmart". Kinda makes you understand why she's his ex-wife, he spent way too much time there.

I too have had plent of good experiences with the Blue and Orange borgs. All too often we tend to communicate the bad experiences rather than good.

Chris Konikowski
07-10-2009, 5:38 PM
Lowes definitly takes the cake on being competent and nice. HD is just rediculous. I see sales guys turn the corner, see you comming, turn around and damn near run!!!
Lowes always comes and checks on you. You don't have to track them down. I also get much more knowledgeable help at Lowes. I pretty much stay out of HD if I can...

Mike Cruz
07-10-2009, 6:02 PM
Ha, that's funny. I find the exact opposite. It must be where you are. The long and the short of it is that employees are people. The guy working at Lowe's today, might be working at HD tomorrow.