PDA

View Full Version : Mouth of Plane behind the Blade

Bill Miltner
07-09-2009, 3:36 PM
How important is the size of the mouth opening immediately BEHIND the blade. I have a vintage low angle block plane that has a larger mouth opening behind the blade ( as compared to my other block planes.) Is this a big deal?

Jim Koepke
07-09-2009, 5:32 PM
This is one of those problems that need more information to understand the question.

Plane model # may help.

Pictures are always a help. If not, most of us just like to look at pictures. It is easier than doing the hard part of reading.

Most LA block planes use the edge of the mouth to seat the blade.

You may want to check to make sure the blade is installed bevel up. With the bevel down, it may look like a gap. This has happened to many of us at one time or another.

jim

Bill Miltner
07-09-2009, 6:20 PM
The plane is a Stanley 65, and it's old enough that the slots in the plane iron are just grooves, not all the way through the iron so installing the iron bevel down is not possible.

The plane is at my home and I am on the road now so I can not take any pics right now.

Bob Barkto
07-09-2009, 8:03 PM
If by gap you mean there is a small flat on the rear edge of the mouth opening, rather than coming to a sharp intersection with the sole... then generaly it's not much of a concern.

Unless there is so much missing that blade support becomes an issue.
On the older Stanleys they typically have a rather generous bed so you shouldn't notice any performance problems if a little bit of the blade is unsupported where it exits the body. Newer planes have very little support when perfect so it could be a problem then.

I'm a little curious as to how the "gap" got there. Sounds like someone might have been a bit aggressive in tuning it or maybe there were cracks at the opening or chipping that got filed away.
Post a pic if you get a chance.