PDA

View Full Version : Versalaser and Air assist

Anthony Lembo
07-09-2009, 3:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting a Versalaser 4.60, and wanted to know if anyone has the "coaxial air assist" option on their system, and if it is a necessity or not (and what the heck is it anyway?? :-)

Does this work in conjunction with the cone/backsweep accessories, or do I just need the cone or backsweep if I want to have air on the material?

I'll be using the unit primarily for vector cutting, 80% wood, 20% acrylic.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

Mike Mackenzie
07-09-2009, 5:48 PM
You will want the air assist, The Coaxial air assist is a fancy name for complete optic protection. The cone comes with it , The back sweep is optional and is usually used for doing rubber stamps.

Anthony Lembo
07-09-2009, 6:06 PM
Thanks Mike.

So, if I understand you correctly, it's worth spending the extra $ to get the coaxial assist.

Can I get air on the material without purchasing the coaxial assist upgrade?

Thanks.

Anthony

Mike Mackenzie
07-09-2009, 7:28 PM
Not really efficiently, There are aftermarket kits available but in my opinion they do not work as good as the factory optics protection.

Anthony Lembo
07-09-2009, 7:46 PM
Thanks Mike :-)

I appreciate your help.

Anthony

Mike Null
07-09-2009, 8:40 PM
I agree with Mike. For cutting air assist is a must.

Bret Gordon
07-10-2009, 1:16 PM
What if you're sticking to just cutting anodized aluminum? Do you still think air assist is a must?

Thanks,

Bret

Mike Mackenzie
07-10-2009, 1:19 PM
You will not be able to cut metal so if you are just engraving then air is not necessary.

Bret Gordon
07-10-2009, 1:33 PM
Mike -- That makes sense! Thanks for helping a newbie starting off on his laser engraving journey!

James A. Wolfe
07-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Bret,
I bought a used VL and it didn't have air assist. It works very well without it for some things and it's pretty crappy at others. Engraving anodized aluminum works well as do most types of engraving you'll see done here. Cutting is a different story. Acrylics cut well without the assist but wood or other cellulose products don't cut well at all. It all depends on your plans for what you want to do.
Good luck,
Jim

Mike Mackenzie
07-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Jim,

Are you aware that all of the VL and VLS desktop units are pre plumbed with the air?, All you need is the cone and your air source (compressor).