PDA

View Full Version : Photos outdoors in granite?

Gary and Jessica Houghton
07-09-2009, 2:10 PM
How long do photos last in granite tiles when going outside in the sun? I know inside they are said to last 500 years or so, but what about outside? I have done granite for outside, but I don't know how long it will last....
People who have photos on grave stones, aren't they lasered?

I have a 35W Epilog, so I know depth is out. Any help is appreciated.

Frank Corker
07-09-2009, 9:38 PM
I can't say with certainty. I did a couple both in different climates, one was done 2006 years ago and remains baking in the sun in Guyana in the same condition as the day it was lasered. Another was done in 2007 in the cold and winter here in the UK and remains the same. I think it has to be down to algae, temp etc.

Mike Christen
07-09-2009, 9:51 PM
one was done 2006 years ago and remains baking in the sun in Guyana in the same condition as the day it was lasered.

Wow, 2006 years, i say it lasts a long time, didn't know they had lasers then :D

James Stokes
07-09-2009, 9:57 PM
I read somewhere Granite wears 1/1000 per 100 years. I do tomb stones all the time. I give a 50 year warente, (of course I will be long gone in 50 years. :) ) I have some that have been out for 10 years and they look just as good as the day I did them.

Dan Hintz
07-09-2009, 9:59 PM
Wow, 2006 years, i say it lasts a long time, didn't know they had lasers then :D
Frank has been around since the beginning...

Frank Corker
07-10-2009, 10:05 AM
ok ok so that's the third mistake this year.... throw me a bone here

Gary and Jessica Houghton
07-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Thank you so much for the info.

Frank, I too understand about mistakes in typing. You are totally forgiven!!! Thank you for the examples in the different climates. I live in North Central Texas. Yesterday it was 106 degrees. Of course our winters are nothing compared to yours, it does sometimes drop to freezing temperatures for some periods of time.

James, thank you for your technical info. I hope to still be around in ten years.

Thank you all.

Garrett Nors
07-10-2009, 11:35 AM
Thank you so much for the info.

Frank, I too understand about mistakes in typing. You are totally forgiven!!! Thank you for the examples in the different climates. I live in North Central Texas. Yesterday it was 106 degrees. Of course our winters are nothing compared to yours, it does sometimes drop to freezing temperatures for some periods of time.

James, thank you for your technical info. I hope to still be around in ten years.

Thank you all.

I feel your pain!

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/Spazs_Album/410530ed.jpg

Larry Bratton
07-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Don't worry Frank..I thought I made a mistake once..but I was wrong!

Mike Christen
07-10-2009, 7:01 PM
ok ok so that's the third mistake this year.... throw me a bone here

Sorry Frank, I couldn't help myself, please forgive me :D

Bill Cunningham
07-12-2009, 10:14 PM
With granite, your removing the polished stone down a few thou.. A good test, is to walk through a old cemetery, and see what tombstones have weathered down through the polished stone, and check the dates.. My guess is you won't find any..
If you do, they will be Ooold..