PDA

View Full Version : Delivered: Grizzly G0691 (table saw)

John M Bailey
07-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Actually, I picked it up at the APS Freight terminal in Memphis.
That was an eye opener! If you ever ship or plan to ship anything, DO NOT stand in a terminal at UPS and watch the fork truck drivers for 30 minutes, or you will never ship via UPS again. It was insane to me. The drivers were literally using the pallets of frieght as a bumper, and if anything fell off, they would pick the fallen box off the floor and THROW it into the truck after they loaded what was left of the pallet.
I watched a driver hit a rail with a well stacked and stable pallet of boxes that was stretch wrapped, ripping the wrap and causing the boxes to start falling off, the rest of the boxes stayed on the pallet just long enough to load into a trailer and then I could hear them hitting the trailer floor; never fear, the next pallet was used to push everthing further into the trailer.
Very rarely did a load come by without yellow guard rail paint, gashes at the level of the guard rails, ragged holes from the forks, TIRE marks, boxes falling off. Like I said, it was Insane.
I was there for over thirty minutes, and for the first twenty minutes, there was some guy on the intercom saying, "your break is over, get back in here!" It took at least 10 minutes of him saying that before anybody got back to work, and 20 before everybody got back.
Then came my pakage...........

John M Bailey
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
....... My G0691 came in four boxes. The main box was in good condition, it was a crate with the actual saw and the top including the wings. The next box, also in good shape, contains the fence. The third boxed, damaged on one corner, contains the Large extension table and legs. The table is chipped on one corner. The last box (what is left of it) contains the long rails. This box fell off of the stack, hit the guard rail, landed on the floor and was run over by another fork lift. What was left of the box and half a roll of packing tape was wrapped around the rails and then they brought it to my truck.
In picture 1, the black is tire print.
2, guard rail paint.
3, close up scrat.. no, gouges in the rail.
4, extension table torn box.
5, the chipped corner.

Peter Aeschliman
07-09-2009, 12:19 PM
(edit: oops, I think I posted while you were still making your second post!)

I passionately hate UPS. I've had extremely bad experiences with them (losing packages, damaging packages, etc). Their customer support is awful. They really don't care about their customers. They have a huge market share so we often don't get to choose who ships our packages to us...

Do you plan to make a claim with them? If so, good luck. I assume Grizzly insures all of their packages, but my experience has been that they're very slow to process claims for damage.

John M Bailey
07-09-2009, 12:35 PM
The table saw and fence are in great shape, I am just worried about the rails being bent after being dropped and ran over by forklift. I will be talking to Grizzly about the extension table. Normally I would just live with the chipped table, but after seeing first hand how UPS mistreated my things (and every other load I saw), and considering I have spent over $2500 at Grizzly in the last month, I will be asking for a replacement.
I am an understanding guy, and I realize the mistakes and accidents happen, but the damages incurred at UPS are not accidents. When they allow drivers to literally throw boxes labeled fragile, and the many other examples of mishandled loads I saw in 30 minutes, any damages should be considered the fault of UPS.

Joe Hathcoat
07-09-2009, 4:00 PM
This is not very comforting. I just ordered mine yesterday and was actually glad it was shipping UPS. All of the machines I have received from Grizzly in the past have shipped via SAIA and their terminal in Houston is every bit as bad. Fork lifts running like 90 MPH bumper cars.

Guy Belleman
07-09-2009, 4:21 PM
I received my G0690 last month also in four boxes at the eastern Tennessee UPS freight terminal and all of them were in good/great shape. The fork lift operators seemed to be operating safety and they helped me push the load into my trailer. I also received a Grizzly jointer that day.

I hope all of the damage was noted on the shipping form!

Verne Skagerberg
07-09-2009, 9:26 PM
I received my G0690 last month also in four boxes at the eastern Tennessee UPS freight terminal and all of them were in good/great shape. The fork lift operators seemed to be operating safety and they helped me push the load into my trailer. I also received a Grizzly jointer that day.

I hope all of the damage was noted on the shipping form!

You haven't lived with shipping woes until you've lived in Alaska!

Guy, my G0690 arrives tommorow. Would like to hear your impressions of the new machine.

Dave Lehnert
07-09-2009, 9:40 PM
Got to love the damage package process.

-Sir was your package damaged?

-Yes!

-Then it was not packaged good enough. If it was, then no damage would have happened. Sorry!

Guy Belleman
07-10-2009, 3:48 AM
Verne,

It is a great machine. Seems quieter than my previous machines. With the Woodworker II blade it cuts very nicely. I just finished making a crosscut sled yesterday. Now I wonder why I waited to get a saw with a riving knife. Sure makes some operations a lot easier and less tricky. A much safer feature than not having one.

It is not mentioned in the notes, but after taking off the sides of the packing crate, you will need to take out the two bolts from the bottom to get the saw off of the pallet.

I would suggest having the mobile base ready to go at that point and before proceeding with attaching the wings, rails and extension table.

Hope your receiving goes well.

Guy

William Hutchinson
07-10-2009, 7:04 AM
Actually, I picked it up at the APS Freight terminal in Memphis.
That was an eye opener! If you ever ship or plan to ship anything, DO NOT stand in a terminal at UPS and watch the fork truck drivers for 30 minutes, or you will never ship via UPS again. ..........

It's not just UPS. I burned a vacation day waiting for an afternoon delivery-- that never came. It would be the following week to reschedule, so I made the 120 mile round trip to the freight terminal to get my mortiser.

I had the same shock watching the fork lift operators move pallets. The floor must be covered with toxic radioactive corrosive posion, because no one would get off the lifts to pickup anything they knocked or tore off the pallets. These guy must be paid by the second or management welded the speed controls wide open. They would hit the ramp and fly into a tractor trailer so fast that I knew the driver had to be crushed and lying dead in the truck cab.

I made a vow that for my next major tool purchase, I'm going to the manufacturer to pick it up myself. I've already started digging, I heard that you'll end up at the factory if you dig deep enough.:eek:

John Keeton
07-10-2009, 7:10 AM
John, you should feel lucky! That group of UPS dock workers were flunkouts from first year med school:eek: Just think what would have happened if they had become surgeons!!:D

I would guess that Grizzly will make it right, but don't you imagine they get as sick of this as anyone. This is not the only shipping horror story, and the overall cost of this damage gets passed along to all of us in increased prices. Don't you just love paying for someone else's incompetence - but, I guess we do that everyday in many ways.

Charlie McGuire
07-10-2009, 7:52 AM
Yikes !!

My G0691 and G0490X are supposed to be delivered today by UPS - keeping my fingers crossed. T-storms rolling all over the place today too - yuck.

Charlie

Thomas Williams
07-10-2009, 8:09 AM
SHOOT! I was hoping someone was regaling us about their new tool, but now I see it is just another post bashing the shipper.:(

Alex Berkovsky
07-10-2009, 8:48 AM
I received my G0690 last month also in four boxes at the eastern Tennessee UPS freight terminal and all of them were in good/great shape... I hope all of the damage was noted on the shipping form!Guy,
I can't say the same about my G0690 that I received a couple of months ago. The main box was pretty beat up and fell completely apart after I took off the stretch wrap. The cabinet saw surprisingly was in pretty good shape except some paint dings. The extension table was chipped at the edges, but I didn't bother requesting a replacement since I replaced it with a Bench Dog router table extension wing. I noted all the damage with the UPS driver before I signed for it. I did call Grizzly and they sent me some touch-up paint, missing hardware that fell out, and a damaged ruler tape.
I do find this saw much quiter than the Craftsman 22124 that I had before it althoug I do miss the Bies fence.

Mike Heidrick
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I really like when the manufacturers go through the extra steps to properly crate a shipment though. My latest piece, big Laguna shaper, came with about a sheet and a half of OSB and at least a box of drywall screws. Inside that it was massively wraped in shrink/packaging saran wrap. Sawstop was the same way with a great wooden crate. Even the cardboard boxes for the Woodpecker router table tops have plywood edging. I would much rather pay fractionaly additional shipping/freight and wait an extra day for a great adequate crating of my big equipment.

greg decker
07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Alex;

I'n getting a G0691 and have a Bench Dog Router Extension on my existing Delta Contractors Saw but heard the BD will not fit the G0690's and G0691's. Did you mount your's OK without a hassel?

Jason White
07-10-2009, 6:14 PM
Sounds like UPS is mostly to blame in this case, but Grizzly could certainly do a better job with their packaging.

My new Grizzly cabinet saw came in a cardboard box with styrofoam packing inside. No wooden crate to protect anything. There was no damage to the saw, but there easily could have been.

Jason

from them
The table saw and fence are in great shape, I am just worried about the rails being bent after being dropped and ran over by forklift. I will be talking to Grizzly about the extension table. Normally I would just live with the chipped table, but after seeing first hand how UPS mistreated my things (and every other load I saw), and considering I have spent over $2500 at Grizzly in the last month, I will be asking for a replacement.
I am an understanding guy, and I realize the mistakes and accidents happen, but the damages incurred at UPS are not accidents. When they allow drivers to literally throw boxes labeled fragile, and the many other examples of mishandled loads I saw in 30 minutes, any damages should be considered the fault of UPS.

Alex Berkovsky
07-11-2009, 6:16 PM
Alex;

I'n getting a G0691 and have a Bench Dog Router Extension on my existing Delta Contractors Saw but heard the BD will not fit the G0690's and G0691's. Did you mount yours OK without a hassle?No problems at all. I received your PM and replied.

Sounds like UPS is mostly to blame in this case, but Grizzly could certainly do a better job with their packaging.

My new Grizzly cabinet saw came in a cardboard box with styrofoam packing inside. No wooden crate to protect anything. There was no damage to the saw, but there easily could have been.
Jason,
You are 100% correct; My previous Craftsman 22124 zip code saw was crated with a metal cage. Grizzly can learn from Orion how it's done.

Charlie McGuire
07-12-2009, 8:27 AM
My saw and jointer showed up in good shape. Only a small tear in the box for the saw rails.

Saw assembly is mostly done except for plug. Had to file the key and shaft for the tillt wheel handle to fit, but other than that, it went together easily.

Jointer assy is today.

Charlie

Wayne Ashing
07-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Isn't it funny how all this stuff makes it all the way from China or Tiawan to Griz's warehouse, but can't make it a few hundred miles by UPS!!!