12:34:56 7/8/9 :cool:

This only happens every 100 years. :eek:

Jason Beam
07-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Rest assured, the Europeans will have the same event on August 7th. :D

Ken Garlock
07-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Rest assured, the Europeans will have the same event on August 7th. :D

One of us is wrong as to how we write the date.:confused: Theirs makes more sense, but I'll stick with the mmddyy format.;) I'm getting to old to change.:)

Jason Beam
07-09-2009, 1:14 PM
Agreed!

Plus, their way just looks weird to me :P

Tho, I wasn't entirely accurate - there are many other places besides Europe who use dd/mm/yyyy format - i just didn't think of them at the time.

Maybe using the metric system makes it easier to think of dates weird :P

Larry Browning
07-09-2009, 2:01 PM
Theirs makes more sense

I must disagree. Theirs does not make more since. To a programmer like me, what would actually make more since is yyyy/mm/dd so that stuff could be easily sorted in date sequence. This is the way things are stored on a database, then converted to whatever format is needed for user display. For international display dd/mm/yyyy all 3 numbers must be rearranged, but at least for American display all that is needed is to move the 1st 4 characters to the end. (which can be done with 1 statement.)

Stephen Musial
07-09-2009, 2:04 PM
1:23:45 6/7/89

Jerome Hanby
07-09-2009, 2:33 PM
I kinda like the number of seconds since the epoch. Makes computing elapsed time between dates easier :D

I must disagree. Theirs does not make more since. To a programmer like me, what would actually make more since is yyyy/mm/dd so that stuff could be easily sorted in date sequence. This is the way things are stored on a database, then converted to whatever format is needed for user display. For international display dd/mm/yyyy all 3 numbers must be rearranged, but at least for American display all that is needed is to move the 1st 4 characters to the end. (which can be done with 1 statement.)

David Dockstader
07-09-2009, 3:37 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but this is not necessarily a once-in-a-lifetime event. My mom has seen it twice! Her 101st birthday is Saturday! She may be going for 3!

Brent Smith
07-09-2009, 3:49 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but this is not necessarily a once-in-a-lifetime event. My mom has seen it twice! Her 101st birthday is Saturday! She may be going for 3!

Congrats to your Mom David. Have her come up here next month on the 7th for number 3. 07/08/09 :).

Karl Brogger
07-09-2009, 5:13 PM
Being that time doesn't actually exist, did anyone truly miss it?:rolleyes:

Eric Sears
07-09-2009, 5:31 PM
Interestingly enough, there was a story on CNN on how a baby was delivered via C-section at 12:34:56 on 7/8/09 and is listed as such on their birth certificate.

Ken Garlock
07-10-2009, 12:53 PM

Well, it has been 30 years since I did any accounting programing and then it was in COBOL. As I recall, at least in the tire mfg business, date was a relatively small part of the accounting process. The most important thing was sales $s, and did the store make money. Date was a 'rock & rat' filter to make sure all sales fell with in the business month.

Real programmers use assembly language;)

Rod Sheridan
07-10-2009, 1:06 PM
All three date formats are in use in Canada, however yyyy/mm/dd is the ISO 8061 standard for date formats, and the most comprehensible.

After all, when the last time you wrote a number with the least significant digits at the left or in the middle?

Regards, Rod.

Steve knight
07-10-2009, 5:48 PM
well is it really avlid when you have a date that does not exist? I mean 7/8/9 is not valid since it should be 7/8//09 or 07/8/09

Brent Smith
07-10-2009, 9:35 PM
well is it really avlid when you have a date that does not exist? I mean 7/8/9 is not valid since it should be 7/8//09 or 07/8/09

Yea, but that would take the fun out of it, now wouldn't it?

Larry Browning
07-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Real programmers use assembly language;)

Assembly is for wimps and cry babies. Real programmers only write in machine language. (See signature)