PDA

View Full Version : How to attach aprons to table leaf?

Jerry Ingraham
08-30-2004, 2:03 PM
Hi Gang,
I'm building an extension table and am wondering how to attach the aprons to the extension leaves. Should I just pocket hole them? At first I questioned whether that would be enough support to avoid them being broken or cracked if they were banged when removing them from the table. Once in the table they will be fine I'm sure. Should I reinforce them with a glue block? Is there some other method of attachment I should look at? Any input is welcomed.

Daniel Rabinovitz
08-30-2004, 3:20 PM
Jerry
Yes! The aprons on our commercial (not Daniel made) dining room table has large leaves that hide under our bed when not in use. Anyway, the leaves have 5 inch aprons with pocket screw joinery and reinforcing glue blocks, to secure the aprons.
Daniel :cool:

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 4:36 PM
Jerry, I have two Antique DR tables and both do not have aprons on the leaves. Real hard to store.

A third uses pocket screws, glue and cleats very effectively.;)

Carl Eyman
08-30-2004, 5:30 PM
My commercial dining table has them attached with hinges. They are easier to store. They have pins, ofcourse to mate with the table or other leaves.

Jerry Ingraham
08-30-2004, 6:33 PM
Tyler,
I thought about not using aprons so the leaf can self-store underneath the table top but I like the idea of aprons helping to keep the leaf flat.

Jerry Ingraham
08-30-2004, 6:34 PM
Carl,
I gave that some thought as well. Once again, I worry about cupping of the leaf.

Steve Jenkins
08-30-2004, 6:44 PM
One way I solved the storage problem was to incorporate a storage box under the top. both leaves store inside it. One upside down and the other rightside up with the edges staggered. The same sort of thing could be done with aprons. Steve

Steve Jenkins
08-30-2004, 6:45 PM
sorry it's so big

Tyler Howell
08-30-2004, 6:55 PM
Real Nice Steve!:cool:

Jerry Ingraham
08-30-2004, 7:37 PM
Steve, that table is beautiful! I've been toying with the idea of some brackets to support the leaf, I never thought about a box. Hmmm...

Steve Jenkins
08-30-2004, 7:42 PM
Thanks Jerry.
I just notched the ends of the box enough for the slides to operate so when the table is closed they are totally hidden. Steve