PDA

View Full Version : Medical insurance for college graduate?

Tony Sade
07-09-2009, 11:12 AM
My oldest will graduate from college at the end of the coming fall semester, and thus will no longer be eligible for coverage under our employer-provided family medical plan. With luck, he'll land a real job with benefits, but in this economy, he could easily wind up bartending and taking up space back at my house [which will thrill his mother, but result in death or serious bodily injury to either him or me. ;) ].

I can COBRA him under our existing policy, but am wondering about other alternatives. He's the typically healthy post-teen without any significant medical issues, so I'm thinking about helping out (very temporarily) with premiums for a catastrophic injury/major medical policy, but am wondering if there are any other ways to go.

TIA,

Jim Rimmer
07-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Unless he's working, what you mentioned is about the only way I know to get insurance for him. Hopefully, he'll get a job quickly but what a bad time to be looking. Good luck.

Steve Southwood
07-09-2009, 6:39 PM
Look into temp insurance. Only covers the big stuff, but will save your butt, if you need it. I got 6 months for myself, wife and 2 kids for $900. Right now I have United Security. When that goes I can switch to another for 6 months, then back to untied and back to the other. So for 2 years I can carry these 2, more or less. I am thinking we have a 2,000 deductible, per occurrence. Not sure and wife isn't here. Better than nothing.

Mike Williams
07-09-2009, 8:59 PM
"...Right now I have United Security. When that goes I can switch to another for 6 months, then back to untied and back to the other. So for 2 years I can carry these 2, more or less..."

Steve - as I understand it, you need to be careful with switching back and forth. I think that everytime you switch, you will be considered a new subscriber with that company. That means that any illness, injury, complaint, etc. you've already had while covered by either the 1st or 2nd company will be considered a pre-existing condition and not be covered.

If anyone has better information, please correct me.

Mike

Steve Southwood
07-09-2009, 9:49 PM
From what I was told is that as long as they don't expire, I am Ok. Who knows, as insurance, usually does as they want anyhow.

For the record, my dad is the agent. And another, who knows if he knows what he is doing. He did father me:D

Jerome Hanby
07-10-2009, 9:03 AM
Cobra is usually a bear cost wise. I can't speak for your state, but Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama is offering a product called Individual Blue. The prices are much better than I was paying for really crappy group insurance when I was still running my development company. Pretty sure that product is only for Alabama, but your local plan my offer a similar product.

Ben Davis
07-10-2009, 6:58 PM
You'll be much better off financially with the catastrophic coverage policy. COBRA policies are goofy expensive.