PDA

View Full Version : Mounting band saw riser block

Mike Cruz
07-09-2009, 7:47 AM
As I have seen a few folks on this forum say, the Grizzly riser block kit fits the Ridgid 14' band saw. I purchased it Tuesday, and I got it yesterday...wow that was fast. When I placed the riser block on my band saw's lower unit, the pins of the riser block didn't match up exactly with the holes in my Ridgid.

Here's the question: Is this expected/planned?

Is it supposed to be a bit tight? So that when I tighten the bolt, it pulls it all together...really snug? Or do I need to lightly file one of the pins so that it slides in without much or any force?

Thanks to anyone that has experienced this already.

Mike Lipke
07-09-2009, 8:20 AM
How close are the upper pins?
If they don't line up at the bottom, and do line up at the top, I think you got a bad riser block

Mike Cruz
07-09-2009, 9:09 AM
WOW, this is my 3rd DUH moment in the last day! Thank you for suggesting that I look at the upper pins. I hadn't even tested that because I thought I should tackle one thing at a time. So, per your advice, I checked the top pins...perfect fit. I went back to the lower pins and checked them...individually, and guess what I found...both holes were ever so slightly too small. I took a 1/4 inch bit and cleaned out the holes...the riser block slid right on.

Thanks for solving this one for me.

Angie Orfanedes
07-09-2009, 2:18 PM
I just installed the Grizzly kit on my Ridgid saw yesterday. The pins were a little snug, but fit well - after I turned the riser block around so that the side marked "UP^" is opposite the on/off switch side (duh). I did some tapping with a rubber mallet to further convince it to go together. When I tightened the big-mama bolt, everything came together nicely.

I am impressed that with the riser kit, the noise/vibration level are about the same as before. I also painted the block gray before installation so it looks a bit less obvious.

Mike Cruz
07-09-2009, 3:53 PM
So did I. Unfortunatly, the grey I "grabbed" hastily at HD didn't quite match the Ridgid grey.

I was all set to get it mounted and realized, that since I am replacing the motor, too, and EVERYBODY keeps saying what a POC the Ridgid bases are, and how you HAVE to make your own...well, I thought now is the best time to do it. So, I have been spending the day making a base from an extra sheet of 3/4 inch MDF. The box was easy enough to make and went together pretty smoothly, but I forgot that now I had to drill holes for the saw and motor and motor guard...AAAAHHH! Oh, and paint it, too. And the MDF swallowed a can of spray paint on the first coat. So it was off to the store to get some more paint. Luckily, I realized that my new base required longer mounting bolts than what came with the saw....I need a beer!

Jim Becker
07-09-2009, 9:53 PM
Aside from the alignment issue you describe, be sure that all the paint is off the mating surfaces so that globs of that stuff don't exacerbate any alignment issues. I had to deal with that back when I had a 14" BS from Jet...once I cleaned off a sneaky paint run, it went together really nicely.

Lance Norris
07-10-2009, 11:48 AM
Mike...I have the Grizzly riser on my Ridgid. I am one of the ones who figured out which Grizzly kit worked with the Ridgid saw. There are lots of people who are interested in more power with a motor change. Keep us posted on what you figure out and what motor you eventually use. There is a good forum for Ridgid, with a woodworking tool section and Im sure posting there will help alot of folks also. Thanks.

Mike Cruz
07-10-2009, 1:58 PM
You won't believe the deal I struck on a new motor. I found one on Ebay that was perfect...1.5 HP, 110/220, 1725 rpm, 5/8" shaft, cw or ccw direction...except that it wasn't TEFC. Then I checked my factory motor...it wasn't TEFC either! So, I called the company up that was selling it right before the auction was ending. I didn't get my bid in on time, but the person I spoke to said not to worry, she had 4 of these, and would sell me one for whatever the auction ended at...it ended at $25!

I called her and promptly ordered one. 5 days later it arrived, but damaged. I called to check to see if that was why they were so cheap. They said no. It must have gotten damaged in transit. SO THEY SENT ME ANOTHER ONE...FREE! NO SHIPPING EITHER! ($25) for the first one. The only oddity, was that while these motors were new, they were proprietary motors, made by Leeson, for a company on the West Coast. So they were prewired which confused the heck out of me. I called my neighbor, an electrician, he came over and wired them both up for me in a few minutes. Both work perfectly, one just has some cosmetic damage (bent mounting bracket, dented cylinoid (sp?)cover, and a piece of vent chipped off).

I am waiting for a new on/off switch to come in the mail. As soon as I get that, I should be in business! I'll let you know how it goes.

Phil Thien
07-10-2009, 6:32 PM
Mike, post a picture w/ your completed stand, and let us know how it cuts w/ that 1-1/2-HP motor.

I hope you have some good blades on the way.

Mike Cruz
07-10-2009, 9:00 PM
You mean the one that came with the riser from Grizzly isn't the most awesomest blade that money can buy? ;) Yup...they are on the way.