PDA

View Full Version : Wood Trimmings

Billy Tallant
07-09-2009, 3:30 AM
I've had to trim my trees this evening. Branches dropping to the ground. I've cut some silver leaf maple, red leaf maple, & oak branches. Some of the branches are idea sizes for pen blanks. I know the blanks will need to age/dry before ready for turning. Should I cut the blanks down to pen size blanks & seal them? Or just leave them long & seal them? I plan on just stacking them in my shop out of the way & let them dry with time.

Any comments/suggestions welcome...

Norm Zax
07-09-2009, 6:56 AM
the thinner the slice, the faster the readiness. An inch per year is an approximation so if you know that a branch is intended for pens, Id recommend preparing a 1X1X6 blank andd coating its ends. Allow for some warping. Keep in shade.
If you still dont know what the wood will serve, cut into reasonable lengths and seal.

Bernie Weishapl
07-09-2009, 12:41 PM
Billy I had some maple that I trimmed which were from about 3/4" to 1" in diameter. I left them 2' to 4' long and sealed the ends. I had forgotten about them and about a year later cut some up and made pens.

Steve Schlumpf
07-09-2009, 1:07 PM
Haven't dried branch wood yet but have to think it would be best to leave whole and seal the ends. If cut close to size while green, I believe they would warp pretty bad during the drying process. Hope the wood dries for you with no problems!

Aaron Wingert
07-09-2009, 3:09 PM
There's always the option of soaking them in DNA for a day or two and drying them with that method. Waiting a month or so sure beats the heck out of waiting a year!

Jim Underwood
07-09-2009, 4:35 PM
Cut 'em twice as wide as you need and dry 'em in the microwave.

TaDA! Done.

Better do it when Mama's out of town tho.:D

Robert Snowden
07-09-2009, 6:25 PM
I don't know about drying wood in the microwave but had to buy LOML a new one after drying some gator bones.

Billy Tallant
07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. Not sure at this time which way I will go. Temperature was sitting around 101 F this afternoon. Wasn't too interested in cutting anymore wood this afternoon. Really wasn't even interested in doing much of anything outside in this hot weather....:)