View Full Version : Question about routers

ryan kelley
07-09-2009, 1:17 AM
What does "above the table adjustment" mean and is it needed? Also what are your opinions on the Hitachi KM12vc for a part time woodworker?

Jason White
07-09-2009, 6:26 AM
It means you don't need a router lift if you want to be able to adjust the height of the bit without squatting down below the the underside of the router table. Some router makers now include a crank that you insert through a hole in the top of the router table and adjust the bit height by turning it left or right. Works in a similar fashion as the micro-adjust on some routers.

Also, in some cases, it means you can change bits without having to remove the router from the base. The collet will either extend above the top of the table, or the router comes with an angled wrench designed to reach down through the insert plate from above.

The latest issue of WOOD magazine has a short article on routers that don't require router lifts. They make a great point that you can spend the same (or less) money on one of these new routers than some router lifts -- and who couldn't use another router!!??? :D

FWIW, I have the Freud 1700 (2-1/4HP) in my router table and LOVE being able to change bits from above the table with just one wrench. In fact, I'm thinking of upgrading to the 3-1/4HP Freud because it operates the same way.

Jason

What does "above the table adjustment" mean and is it needed? Also what are your opinions on the Hitachi KM12vc for a part time woodworker?

Rich Engelhardt
07-09-2009, 7:32 AM
Hello,

Also what are your opinions on the Hitachi KM12vc for a part time woodworker?
Like Jason, I also have the Freud 1700 mounted in a table.
The above table adjustment feature is something you only have to use a router that doesn't have that feature one time to appreciate it.
(I also have a low cost Ryobi/table $99.00 special that lacks any above table features.
It's a job site machine that does what's needed on site for limited work.)

Charles from Freud is a frequent poster here at SMC.
I have yet to see anyone from Hitachi show a personal (or professional) interest in anything here, FWIW.
(plus that sick greeen color of the Hitachi is always there to remind me how bad I got stung on one of their saws)

Jerome Hanby
07-09-2009, 9:07 AM
I've got that Hitachi kit and think it's great. I have the fixed base attached to my router extension wing on the table saw and use the plunge base for "normal" use. Was a little annoying that it didn't have the latch handle for both bases. I ordered and received another set of handle hardware, but it took forever (ordered through Lowes) and I've since mis-placed it :D. Moving the hardware back and forth isn't too bad, just annoying.

This router has no above the table goodies at all, but I did see that (I think this is the name) Router Raizer now supports this model...

Gary Muto
07-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I have the 1700 too. It's great in a table application. The Bosch 1617 is another router that I've heard good things about.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-09-2009, 4:37 PM
Wow, I wasn't going to reply, since I have the cheapo Freud router too. I also think it's a great router, and I got a deal that came with a fixed, plunge bases and a router plate. The router is much less than a good plate and lift system, so you can get 2. If one breaks, toss it out. I put my router plate on my table saw wing extension, so it's pretty accessible, but, above the table adjustment is sweet. It also probably cheaper than the Hitachi too.

Just my .02.